Don’t you love how cute and versatile pom poms are? Add them to the top of a knit hat or to the ends of a homemade scarf and you’ll instantly have a whimsical winter accessory. If you’ve never made your own before and don’t have a special pom pom making kit, don’t worry – making pom poms is actually super easy! It’s also a great craft project for kids. So get your favorite color of yarn ready and let’s make some pom poms!
- A small ball of scrap yarn (Note: for fuller pom poms, use two two balls or more of yarn)
- Cardboard or cardstock
- Take your piece of cardboard or cardstock and cut a rectangle shape that’s roughly three inches wide and five inches long.
- Take your ball of yarn and wrap it around the middle of the cardboard.
- Continue wrapping until the yarn protrudes at least an inch out from the cardboard. Depending on how full you want your pom pom to be, you may need to wrap more yarn in this stage.
- Bend your cardboard rectangle slightly until the wrapped yarn can easily slide off.
- Take a long strand of yarn that’s the same color as the yarn you used before and tie it tightly around the middle of the loops of yarn. It will end up looking something like this:
- Take your scissors and cut through the yarn loops on both sides of the “bow.”
- Your pom pom will look a little disheveled at first. To remedy this, gently pull and stretch both sides of the pom pom to loosen up the freshly cut loops.
- Now take your scissors and trim the yarn down to size and into the desired shape. After its had a proper haircut, your lovely little pom pom will look something like this:
- That’s all there is to it. Enjoy adding your finished pom pom to hats, scarves and more.