Hello FaveCrafts readers, my name is Latrice Murphy. Today I have a fun fall tutorial to share with you on how to create faux leaves with stamps, embossing powder and ink. It’s a fun technique that I’ve used in both my card making and on scrapbook pages. Let’s get to it.
- Cardstock: Hero Arts
- Patterned Paper: Crate Paper Farmhouse
- White cardstock: Neenah
- Inks: Wild Honey, Antique Linen and Gathered Twigs (Ranger) Versamark (Tsukineko)
- Embossing powder: Ranger
- Shimmer Spray: Tattered Angels
- 3D adhesive: EK Success
- Circle cutter of your choice
First you want to stamp and emboss your leaf image in either black, copper or clear embossing powder. This part is up to you. This is what each one those would look like. You can also simply stamp it with ink. I love the texture the embossing gives the leaf.
Next grab some fall colors from your ink pile. My favorite are the Tim Holtz and Ranger Distress inks. I used Gathered Twigs, Barn Door and Wild Honey.
Next add your colors with the applicator. Don’t worry about blending them at this point. Just make sure they are covered completely with a good mix of the three.
To finish the leaves off you’ll spray them with either plain water or a shimmer mist of your choice. This will blend the colors even more and add shimmer too. I created a simple card using this technique. On my leaf I tapped the back of the paper to get most of the embossing powder off so that the texture was subtle. I cut my leaf out with some precision scissors and curled the tips for dimension.
How to Make a Card Using Faux Leaves:
- Make your card from Hero Arts Layering Papers. I chose a yellow.
- Using a circle cutter cut two circles of the same size from patterned paper.
- Cut a third circle from white cardstock a little larger.
- Ink the edges of the patterned paper circles and adhere to card. Trim excess off.
- Ink the third circle with Antique linen and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks and adhere to center of card.
- To create the leaf, stamp the leaf image in Versamark, emboss with black and ink with Wild Honey, Fired Brick and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks.
- Heat set Inks and spritz with shimmer spray of your choice.
- Cut leaf out, curl edges with a bone folder and adhere to center circle.
- Create a banner from white cardstock, ink edges, stamp sentiment in brown and adhere using both dry adhesive and 3D dots.
Thanks so much for stopping by and reading my tutorial. I hope that you try this today and whip up some fun and fabulous cards or projects with your created faux leaves.
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Happy Birthday to You! Card Make n’ Take with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L - December 6, 2017
- 6 Ways to Donate Your Handcrafts to Kids in Need Around the World through OCC - October 18, 2017
- New Ways to Share and Save on Prime Publishing LLC Sites - October 12, 2017