This past weekend, I did a little spring cleaning (I know, I’m a little late). As I went through my clothes, I found an old pair of jeans that didn’t fit anymore, but were still in good shape. If this has ever happened to you, do not throw them away! Old denim makes great material for tons of craft projects. Need some ideas for crafts using old jeans? FaveCrafts put together an article with 14 ways to turn your old jeans into something fabulous: 14 Things to do with Old Jeans.
Another interesting idea for crafts using old jeans is to make denim slippers. Making denim slippers is pretty easy and it’s fun. I prefer to use worn-looking jeans for this project, but any type of jeans will do. If you’re really feeling creative, try using colored denim jeans. Sadly, I do have a pair of bright green jeans lying around, but that’s another story.
Here’s what you’ll need to make those slippers:
- Pair of old jeans
- High-loft batting or slipper foam
- Tailor’s chalk
- Flip Flops or shoes that fit
- Marker or pen
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Ribbon or self-adhesive gems for embellishing
- Take your jeans and turn them over so that the jean’s pockets are facing the ceiling. Stick your feet inside the pockets and make sure your feet have enough room. The pockets will turn into the cover for the slippers.
- Take the legs of the jeans, or whatever section you want to use for the base of the slippers, and on each leg, cut off a portion big enough to accommodate the length of your foot. Once cut, turn both sections inside out.
- Take cardboard, and while wearing flip flops, use a marker to trace around your shoes. Cut out each one to create two cardboard inserts.
- Place the cardboard inserts on the inside-out jean sections and using Tailor’s chalk, trace around each one of the cardboard cut outs.
- For each cut-out section, use straight pins to hold both layers of the jeans in place. Cut off the access material around the chalk line for each foot outline.
- Use a sewing machine and stitch the layers together for both sections. Leave one side of the fabric open to insert a foam padding.
- Trace the cardboard cut-outs on top of the foam and cut out two foam inserts.
- Take your denim slipper bases and turn them right side out. Place the cardboard cut outs inside each slipper, followed by the foam inserts. Sew both seams closed.
- Take the pockets of your jeans from step 1. and cut them out, being careful not to cut into the seam.
- Slide each slipper base into the pockets. Align and straighten the pockets until you like where they’re positioned. Sew the pockets onto the underside of the denim slipper bases.
- Now the fun part: if your jean pockets weren’t already embellished, add on whatever you want. Give them some sparkle with self-adhesive jewels, or add on a pink ribbon for a cute, feminine touch.
Crafts using old jeans are so much fun to make. Here is another great tutorial that turns old jeans into adorable slippers with bows.
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- How FaveCrafts Celebrated Our 10 Year Anniversary - July 15, 2019
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019