My fave event at the Craft Hobby Association Show in Anaheim is the Prime Publishing Blogger Networking Event. I love putting faces in person, to folks I’ve become friends with in type. And when you get home, the swag arrives, big time!
This year I got a large selection of metal and metal tools from MD Crafts. and a Mega Bulky acrylic yarn from Bernat. I never would have chosen these materials and tools for myself, and they really got the creative juices flowing.
Crocheted Mega Bulky Chickenwire Basket
Tools and Supplies
- MD Crafts Chicken Wire
- MD Crafts Hobby Shears and Gloves
- Bernat Mega Bulky Acrylic yarn
- Wearing the gloves, use the shears to cut a piece of chicken wire about twice as wide and long as the basket you want to make.
- Folding and bending the wire, mold the wire into a basket shape, tucking in sharp edges.
- Be sure to fold over the top rim for stability and strength .
- Starting at the top make a loop with the yarn and begin finger crocheting around the rim.
- Using your finger, poke the yarn though the wire holes and pull the yarn through creating a chain stitch.
- Starting at the bottom, build up the sides in the same way, going back and forth in rows through the holes in the wire.
- You could add beads or other embellishments in at this point.
- I did try using a 15mm hook, and decided fingers worked better !
- If you have sharp areas or wire, use extra stitches to cover them.
- At the top rim, chain about 7 stitches to create a handle and secure with a slip stitch.
- Repeat building up the other side and making a handle.
- Weave in any loose ends.
You can add as much crochet to the walls as you want. I had already made a crocheted bag out of the yarn, so I only had enough yarn to do the side walls. (The bag is also featured in a free E-Book-Best Blogger Crafts 2015)
You could use your basket to hold your new craft tools…or carry veggies in from the garden, or what ever your imagination can create!