Glitter is one of the most versatile materials to craft with. You can use glitter on fabric, glass, plastic, paper, or wood. You can wear glitter in your hair, on your nails, in your makeup, or on your clothing and accessories. You can knit or crochet with glitter yarn, you can use glitter with rubber stamping in scrapbooking and cardmaking, and you can add a little extra glitz to everything in your home with glitter. Everyone likes a little sparkle now and then, from children to teens to grandparents. Use this guide to get you started with glitter!
Types of glitter
Low-Grade Chunky Glitter: This is the kind of glitter you used in school to make hand-print Thanksgiving decorations and other art projects. You may still have some stuck to your kitchen table from that craft you glittered 20 years ago.
Spray-On Glitter: Use this type of glitter on fabric or in projects such as wreath-making that need a uniform coating of sparkle. Spray-on glitter comes in an aerosol can, like spray paint.
Glitter Glue: Squeeze this gel onto paper projects, clothing you’re embellishing, or other crafts that need a three dimensional glitter finish.
Fine Powder Glitter: Use this glitter to emboss with rubber stamping projects or in your scrapbooks.
Read this comprehensive list for more information.
Ways to Craft with Glitter
Crochet or Knit with Glitter Yarn: Glitter yarn isn’t exactly glitter in the traditional sense; rather, it’s yarn that is mixed with strands of metallic thread for a glittery look. Check out these gorgeous glittery yarn projects on FaveCrafts:
Glitter your Wardrobe: Like I said, you can add glitter to just about anything, from your bag to your shoes to your T-Shirt. Check it out:
Papercrafting with Glitter: The most obvious of uses for glitter is in scrapbooking, cardmaking, and other papercrafts. Here are some of my favorites.
Decorate your Home with Glitter: If you’re attracted to bright, sparkly, shiny things, why not make your home shine and sparkle? Make these home accents using glitter techniques to add glamour to your life.
Tips and Tricks for Working with Glitter:
- Read how to incorporate glitter into your crafts.
- Use a noodger to fix mistakes.
- Work with loose glitter over a piece of newspaper to catch and reuse the extra bits that fall.
- If you don’t have glitter glue, draw a design or write a message with regular glue and then sprinkle with loose glitter for the same effect.
- Learn the basics of heat embossing.
- Make your own stained glass with glitter.
What are your favorite glitter projects? Do you have any more tips and tricks for crafters who want to begin working with glitter?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- How FaveCrafts Celebrated Our 10 Year Anniversary - July 15, 2019
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019