I’m Marie from Underground Crafter, and I’m looking forward to the arrival of the fall (or autumn, as many international readers would say). Fall is my favorite season for showing off my crochet projects!
I’m sharing a free crochet pattern for an easy, transitional weather hat! And, best of all, you can make it with just one-skein of yarn. The combination of an airy stitch pattern with a cotton blend yarn makes this hat perfect for a cool summer night or an autumn day.
Hello, Fall! Crochet Hat Pattern
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 19.5” (49.5 cm) circumference.
- Cascade Yarns Avalon (50% cotton/50% acrylic, 3 oz/100 g, 175 yd/160 m) – 1 skein in 06 Tannin, or approximately 175 yd (160 m) in any cotton blend medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Locking stitch marker.
- Yarn needle.
- 15 sts x 12 rows in pattern = 4” (10 cm). For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice in same st or sp, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- ea – each
- pm – place st marker
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 sts together – (Insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop) twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- WS – wrong (back) side
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Hat pattern stitch is worked flat in rows and joined.
- Slouchy crown of hat is crocheted in the round.
- Starting at brim and leaving a long yarn tail (approximately 18”/46 cm) for seaming, ch 74.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, *(sc, ch 3, cl, ch) in next ch, sk 3; rep from * across to last ch, sc. (73 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 4, cl in same st, ch 1, *(sc, ch 3, cl, ch 1) in ch-3 sp; rep from * across to last ch-3 sp, (sc, ch 2, cl, ch 1) in last ch-3 sp, dc in last st.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, (ch 3, cl, ch 1) in ch-2 sp, *(sc, ch 3, cl, ch 1) in ch-3 sp; rep from * across, sc to top of t-ch.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2.
- Rep Rows 3 & 4 until piece measures approximately 5.5” (14 cm) wide. Do not fasten off.
Seam hat base
- Pm in loop of last st (to hold st) and remove hook.
- Working on the WS and using long yarn tail from foundation chain, seam short edges together by working sl sts through both layers.
- Turn RS out and return hook to loop with marker.
- Begin working in Rnds.
- Rnd 1: Sc in ea sc, cl, ch-1 sp, and ch-3 sp around. Pm to mark last st. Move up marker ea Rnd.
- Rnd 2: *Sc2tog, sc in next 7 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (65 sts)
- Rnd 3: *Sc in next st, ch 1, sk 1; rep from * around to last st, sc.
- Rnd 4: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next 6 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (57 sts)
- Rnd 5: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 6: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next 5 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (49 sts)
- Rnd 7: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 8: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next 4 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (41 sts)
- Rnd 9: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 10: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next 3 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (33 sts)
- Rnd 11: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 12: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around to last st, sc. (25 sts)
- Rnd 13: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 14: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp, sc in next st; rep from * around to last st, sc. (17 sts)
- Rnd 15: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 16: *Sc2tog in next sc and ch-1 sp; rep from * around to last st, sc. (9 sts)
- Rnd 17: Rep Rnd 3.
- Rnd 18: Rep Rnd 16. (5 sts) Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for seaming.
- With yarn needle and long yarn tail, seam crown closed. Weave in ends on WS of hat. Spray block if necessary.
If you’re looking for more fall-themed projects, you may like Seventh Inning Stretch. This free crochet pattern for a fun mini flag is a great way to show support for your favorite baseball team during the lead up to the World Series (also known as the Fall Classic).
What’s your favorite fall activity?
- 7 Tips for Getting a Head Start on Holiday Crafting and DIY Gifts - October 16, 2015
- Hello, Fall! Crochet Hat Pattern - September 2, 2015
- 3 Tips for Crocheting an Adorable, Customized Baby Shower Gift! - August 19, 2015