We are fortunate enough to have Kira Cowan, TipHero Editor, share some of her wisdom with us. She’s got some great ideas for DIY Projects for Keeping You Warm This Winter, and it seems like we’ve had plenty of need to keep warm! Here’s Kira…
Gearing up against the cold of winter can definitely get expensive if you’re not careful. What with accessories that keep us warm, winter coats, heftier shoes to save our toes from frostbite, and more clothing pieces that we need to wear daily, outfitting for winter can be much more expensive than for spring or summer.
The best way to prepare for the winter season and save some money? It should come as no surprise that planning ahead and utilizing some DIY skills can save you a bundle on all your winter needs. By learning how to make clothing or accessories from other clothing or used items, you can be sure to be covered, literally, for the remainder of winter.
Take a look at some of the easy ways you might be able to save on all your winter clothing needs this year:
Make Easy Clothing/Accessories
- Easy Fringe Fleece Scarf: here’s a tutorial that shows you how to make a fun scarf out of 1/4 yard of fleece.
- Turn an Old Sweater Into a Cowl Scarf: use an old sweater or a cheap one from a thrift store to make a cool cowl neck scarf for winter.
- Make a Ruffled Scarf Out of a Sweater: get out your sewing machine and turn a hideous old sweater into a trendy scarf that will keep you warm.
- Make a Scarf Out of Old T Shirts: pick 2 t-shirts and easily transform them into a stylish scarf.
- Make Your Own Arm Warmers: DIY Fashion shows you how to make arm warmers out of an old, long-sleeved shirt that may not fit anymore.
- Hats, Hoods, and More Out of Halter Tops and Sweaters: check out some great, thrifty accessory ideas from Squidoo.
- Make a Winter Hat from a Sweatshirt Sleeve: this easy craft can make use out of a small or stained sweatshirt.
- Mittens from a Sweater: learn how to craft mittens out of sweater you don’t wear.
- Make a New Winter Coat Out of an Old One: just because a coat isn’t your size doesn’t mean you can’t transform it into a fabulous fitting coat.
Make a New Winter Coat Out of an Old One
- Resize It: if you’ve got an extra big saggy coat or find a great deal on one, you can resize it and turn it into something fitted and fabulous.
- Crop It: make a cute sassy short coat from a really long dowdy one.
Saving on Shopping
Here are some general shopping tips for winter from eHow:
- Generally, January and February are the cheapest times to buy winter clothing. You’ll benefit from all of the post holiday specials.
- Take a peek at sites like Free Cycle or Craigslist’s free section to see if you can score free winter clothing. Exchange with friends, neighbors or family members. Don’t forget about clothing swaps!
- Take your old, ill-fitting winter clothing to consignment stores and swap out the old stuff for new wardrobe pieces.
- Make sure to buy separate pieces that go with many other pieces in your wardrobe. Having a sweater that you can wear with many different outfits can make for several different looks without buying tons of clothing.
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 7 Craft Trends for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Happy Birthday to You! Card Make n’ Take with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L - December 6, 2017
- 6 Ways to Donate Your Handcrafts to Kids in Need Around the World through OCC - October 18, 2017