National Craft Month is still going strong! We’ve been sharing our favorite paper crafts, handmade jewelry, DIY fashion crafts, knitting patterns, crochet patterns, and home decor with you all month, and there’s an entire week left of the festivities!
As a bonus to the fabulous craft tutorials we’ve been featuring, we’ve also been offering prizes each and every day of National Craft Month. If you haven’t been chosen as one of our lucky winners just yet, don’t worry. We have plenty of giveaways left so keep staying tuned to the blog for your chance to win!
Today’s project is perfect for spring and Easter; it’s an easy-to-make stuffed bunny that doubles as a cuddly, decorative throw pillow. Kids would love getting this in their Easter baskets. This Project of the Day comes from our friends at I Love to Create!
This spring, cuddle up to a pillow that’s as cute as can be! Give this bunny vibrant personality with fabric paint.
- Tulip® One-Step Dye™: Pink
- Tulip Soft® Fabric Paint: Ebony
- Brush – No. 6 Round
- Plastic tablecloth
- Cotton sateen fabric – white – approximately 1 – 1½ yards
- Large sheet of paper (approximately 18” x 30”) for pattern
- Thread to match
- Sewing machine
- Sewing pins
- Bunny Pillow Pattern 2
- Bunny Pillow Pattern 1
- Enlarge bunny pattern to desired size.
- Trace onto large sheet of paper and cut out pattern. Set aside.
- Prewash fabric in cool water to remove sizing; do not use fabric softener.
- Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth then lay damp fabric out flat. Scrunch and crumple fabric. (See crumple technique illustration in technique guide from dye box.)
- Prepare dye as directed on package. Apply to fabric then cover with plastic tablecloth to keep damp. Let set for 6 to 8 hours or longer for most intense color. Rinse thoroughly in running water until runoff is clear.
- Machine wash fabric in cool water with a small amount of laundry soap. Dry separately and press.
- Lay bunny pattern on fabric, pin and cut out two pieces for front and back. Cut a strip 3½” wide and long enough to span all the way around the edge of bunny, plus 1” extra.
- With right sides facing together, stitch the strip to the pillow front, easing around the corners. Sew end of strip together. Pin and then sew the pillow back to the strip, leaving a small opening approximately 7” to 8” along bottom of bunny to stuff. Fill with fiberfill and stitch opening closed.
- Paint two eyes on bunny with Ebony Matte Soft Fabric Paint. Let dry.
Like I mentioned earlier, we’re giving away a prize every single day of March, right here on the blog for National Craft Month. It’s so easy to enter; just be sure to check back each day for our Project of the Day post like this one to comment to enter! You have 31 chances to win and a new special prize each day.
Today’s prize is:
- Contest open to US and Canada residents 18+
- One comment/entry per person.
- Contest closes March 25, 2012 at 11:59p CST.
- Please answer the question below in order to be entered.
- Winners will be posted on this blog and notified by email.
Answer this question below in the Comments Section of this post for a chance to be today’s winner:
What are you crafting to celebrate spring and Easter?