We are always keen on craft projects that utilize recycled materials. Turning potential waste into something useful or at least pretty is magical. Crafting with recycled materials is a great way to teach kids about the importance of recycling and create a fun activity. In addition to the environmental benefits, using recycled materials allows us to moderate our spending on crafting materials. Regardless of these tough economic times, thriftiness is always an interest. Here are favorite crafts using recycled materials:
- You don’t need expensive materials to pick up weaving. All you need is a sturdy piece of cardboard taken from a shipping envelope to create woven mats, coasters and more!
- We have our collection of Things to Do with Old Jeans, but we missed this project from Sunshine’s Creations. As her kids wore out and outgrew many pairs of jeans, she used the legs to create braided rugs and pockets to create a quilt. Fantastic!
- There are tons of great ideas online for how to create lamps from recycled items but I have to say that my favorite is definitely the blender lamp.
- When I was a kid, I thought hanging street signs in your room was the coolest thing. Though I’m not still eager to put up a giant Stop sign, I do love what Boris Bally did with this dining room table.
- Adventure Ecology is taking to the water next month in a boat completely made out of plastic bottles. The plan is to sail from San Francisco to Sydney, Australia. Talk about recycled crafts.
- Save money on yarn with unwanted sweaters or go to the thrift store and pick up a few vintage finds. This tutorial shows you how to recycle yarn from a sweater to use over again!
- Re-do your room with this side table idea made from accordion-style file folders. Now that’s resourceful – furniture from office supplies!
- Since the weather is starting to get nicer, and I totally left my mini-weber grill outside in the snow all winter, I think I will be turning it into a planter for herbs thanks to this tutorial!
What recycled materials do you use in your crafting projects? Let us know!