In a recent staff meeting, my fellow craft editors and I were discussing popular topics in e-mail newsletters (are you a subscriber?). During our conversation, we realized that fairy tale-inspired projects are particularly hot right now. It seems that crocheters, knitters, quilters and everyone in between wants to take a mental trip to another time and place where woodland creatures rule and fairies fly around all day long. We can all use a little mental vacation, and a one-way ticket to your favorite fairy land is completely free – what could be better?
You might think that fairy crafts are a little juvenile, but that isn’t always the case. In fact, there are so many lovely projects for craft experts as well as beginners. Add a touch of whimsy to your garden by decorating a plain ceramic pot with paint and paper doilies. A Floral Fairy Clay Pot can be displayed in your backyard or on your front stoop and will instantly put you in a good mood. Be sure to include embellishments such as homemade bread dough flowers and jewelry chains to give your project a personal touch. Now that the outside of your home is covered with fairy tale touches, it’s time to think indoor decor. Grab a clean recycled mason jar and get to work on a Recycled Fairy Jar. Create a woodland habitat inside the glass and add in a plastic fairy, sheet moss and silk flowers. If you love needlefelting or simply want to try something new, create a Whimsical Fairy Nymph – little girls will love this tiny handmade doll!
The next time you feel stressed or anxious, consider creating a fairy or woodland-inspired craft. These projects will transport you to a calm, happy place filled with fairies and adorable creatures. While you can’t stay in the woodlands forever, you can capture your favorite aspects and keep a little piece of the magic with you at all times.
- Fairy Garden Flower Pot from Punk Projects
- Moss Toadstool Wreath from Please Note
- Fairy Castle from Remarkably Domestic
- Woodland Creature Canning Jars from Valley and Co. Lifestyle
- Mini Egg Landscapes from My So-Called Crafty Lifestyle
- Indoor Fairy Garden from Dabbles and Babbles
- Woodland Friends DIY Felt Puppets from Lia Griffith
- Fairy Tale Toadstool from Lilla Luise
- Woodland Cupcake Wrappers from The Decorated Cookie
- Woodland Winter Centerpiece
- FolkArt Mushroom Welcome Sign
- Enchanted Acorn Toadstools
- Bippity Boop Magical Wand
- Fairy Princess Wand and Tutu