I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter and I’m thrilled to share a guest post with you today! I love to crochet baby blankets. I live in New York City, and you can really never have too many blankets for a cold winter! But baby blankets are even better, because they can be used all year round as play mats, car seat blankets to protect from air conditioning, or even as security blankets for nap time.
Sometimes, though, crocheting blankets can be frustrating, especially when it seems like you have thousands more stitches to go. For this reason, I love crocheting diagonal blankets where you increase from one corner to the center and then decrease towards the end. That way, after you reach the halfway point, each row is shorter than the last! The first pattern I designed like this was Tadley’s Diagonal Blanket, a free double-ended crochet pattern.
Today, I’m sharing another diagonal blanket pattern with you, but this one is full of vibrant crochet pattern that will brighten up any baby’s day (or, even any room in your house)! Enjoy!
Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 32.5” (83.5 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 114 Cheery Cherry (CA) and 132 Goldfish (CB); and 2 skeins each in 157 Duckie (CC), 169 Sweet Pea (CD), 106 Little Boy Blue (CE), and 108 Bluebell (CF), or approximately 70 yds (64 m) in CA, 160 yd (146 m) in CB, 230 yd (210 m) in CC, 235 yd (215 m) in CD, 265 yd (242 m) in CE, and 340 yd (311 m) in CF in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 6 boxes x 6 boxes in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slop stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- + Rep instructions after plus sign as indicated.
- Blanket is crocheted in one piece in rows from corner to corner using a variation of the diagonal box stitch.
- Stitch pattern is reversible, so choose best side as right (front) side before starting to crochet border.
- Border is crocheted in the round with right (front) side facing.
- With CA, ch 5.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 (counts as ch-3 sp), dc in next 2 ch. (1 box)
- Row 2: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 st, dc in next 2 st, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-3 sp of previous row. (2 boxes)
Increase to center
- Row 3: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 st, dc in next 2 st, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across. (Increases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 5-8: Rep Row 3 4 times.
- Row 9: Rep Row 3, changing to CB in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CA.
- Rows 10-17: Rep Row 3 8 times.
- Row 18: Rep Row 3, changing to CC in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CB.
- Rows 19-26: Rep Row 3 8 times.
- Row 27: Rep Row 3, changing to CD in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CC.
- Rows 28-34: Rep Row 3 7 times.
- Row 35: Rep Row 3, changing to CE in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CD.
- Rows 36-40: Rep Row 3 5 times.
- Row 41: Rep Row 3, changing to CF in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CE.
- Rows 42-47: Rep Row 3 6 times.
Decrease to end
- Row 48: Turn, sl st in first 2 sts, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across. (Decreases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 49-53: Rep Row 48 5 times. Fasten off CF.
- Row 54: Turn, join CE with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 48 from * across.
- Rows 55-59: Rep Row 48 5 times. Fasten off CE.
- Row 60: Turn, join CD with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 48 from * across.
- Rows 61-66: Rep Row 48 6 times. Fasten off CD.
- Row 67: Turn, join CC with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 48 from * across.
- Rows 68-75: Rep Row 48 8 times. Fasten off CC.
- Row 76: Turn, join CB with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 48 from * across.
- Rows 77-84: Rep Row 48 8 times. Fasten off CB.
- Row 85: Turn, join CA with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 48 from * across.
- Rows 86-93: Rep Row 48 8 times. Fasten off CA.
- Rnd 1: Join CB with sl st in any corner starting with vertical box, ch 1, sc in same vertical st and in next vertical st, *3 sc in next horizontal st (ch-3 sp or side of dc), sc in ea of next 2 vertical sts;** rep from * to last st of row, sc again in same st, ch 2, turn and continue working along next side, +4 sc in next horizontal st (ch-3 sp or side of dc),++ sc in ea of next 2 vertical sts; rep from * to ** to last horizontal st of row, rep from + to ++; ch 2, turn and continue working along next side, ***2 sc in next vertical st, sc in next horizontal st, rep from * to ***, sc in first st, join with sl st to top of first sc. Fasten off CB.
- Rnd 2: Join CC with sl st in any corner ch-2 sp, (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp, *dcBL in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, rep from * to corner ch-2 sp,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CC.
- Rnd 3: Join CF in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, *(2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in ch-2 sp, scBL in next 3 sts, (working behind ch-1, dc in next st from Rnd 1), scBL in next st; rep from * to last 2 st before corner ch-2 sp, scBL in ea of next 2 sts; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CF.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary
Who will you crochet this baby blanket for?
- 7 Tips for Getting a Head Start on Holiday Crafting and DIY Gifts - October 16, 2015
- Hello, Fall! Crochet Hat Pattern - September 2, 2015
- 3 Tips for Crocheting an Adorable, Customized Baby Shower Gift! - August 19, 2015