I have been crocheting since I can remember. Just a few years ago I realized that I could make things other than blankets. Since then I have been working on creating my own designs and patterns. One of them is the Baby Crochet Monkey Hat. It is my first hat made with ear flaps, and my second animal themed hat. I really enjoy making my own designs. You can find more of them in my Etsy.com shop and on my Blog. I encourage everyone to make their own patterns, it really isn’t that difficult. Just make sure you keep a piece of paper and a pencil next to you and write down every step as you go.
I am going to share with you super super secret crocheting tips. The kind of tips I wish someone would have told me years ago when I first started. These are tips most older crocheters know, but don’t tell anyone.
1. Go to the library! I cannot tell you how amazing the library is for me now that I found the craft section. I think I have rented all the books in the crochet area at least twice. It is worth the money… or lack of money, to go and see what they have.
2. Try new stitches! I made an awesome discovery while at the library. There are books about different stitches. I now use them a lot! They can really spice up a boring pattern.
3. Roll your yarn skeins into balls. It is time consuming and seems like it is not worth it, but it is in the long run when you don’t have to stop every 5 minutes to untangle your yarn.
4. Don’t be afraid to try new things. I didn’t follow a pattern for years because I didn’t know how to read them. Once I learned it was like a huge door opened. There were so many more things to crochet!
5. Try to stay organized. It is really easy to let yarn and crochet hooks go wild. I keep my yarn in a big duffel bag, and my crochet hooks all in a little clear makeup bag.
No matter what just enjoy crocheting!