Get out those needles and yarn! It’s time to get knit picky!
A few weeks ago, we asked our Facebook fans, “What crafting skill would you like to learn?”…and a wide majority said knitting. For the past two weeks, we’ve run a mini knitting lesson in our newsletter to help guide new knitters as they learn to pearl and stitch for the first time.
Then I wondered if some of our blog readers might enjoy a little knitting tutorial as well…so I’ve decided to post the whole thing here, complete with materials you will need, awesome tutorials and guides, and even a few beginner projects that are easy and fun to make! With these simple lessons and suggestions, you’ll have knitting down in no time!
Beginner’s Knitting Tutorial
Must Have Materials:
- Knitting Needles – These come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials. If you’re brand new to knitting, stick with the bigger sized needles (US 10-17). These will help you better see what is going on and will allow for easier usage of the yarn.
- Yarn – Go into any craft store and you’ll see aisles and aisles of yarn. For your basic knitting projects, stick with yarn that’s strong and durable. Red Heart Yarn, Lily Sugar n’ Cream, and Caron all have great yarn for beginning knitting projects.
- Gauge – The gauge is used to measure the size of your work. It helps you convert stitches into inches for easy measuring and often includes information on converting US sized needles to a metric measurement, if needed.
- Stitch Markers – Stitch markers help you keep your place when you’re working on a knitting project. You can use them to mark the right or wrong side of the work, as well as marking a location where you need to come back to later on.
Easy Tutorials and Guides for Beginning Knitters:
- A Simple Knitting Guide
- Knitting Abbreviations
- Determining Needle Size and Gauge
- How to Cast On
- The Knit Stitch
- The Pearl Stitch
- How to Bind Off
Easy Beginner Knitting Projects:
We want to know: What other crafting techniques do you want to learn? Leave a comment below and maybe we’ll feature it in an upcoming mini lesson!
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- How FaveCrafts Celebrated Our 10 Year Anniversary - July 15, 2019
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019