Today was the day! Did you miss it? No worries, you can still listen to our super fun Craft wars edition of FaveCrafts Radio in the archives. We talked to Craft Wars vets Lisa Fulmer, Andrea Currie, Margot Potter, and Angela Daniels!
Andrea Currie and Lisa Fulmer won their episode of Craft Wars, Margot Potter is best known for her amazing jewelry projects, and Angela Daniels‘ episode aired tonight after the show! Below are just some of the questions we covered in the show with paraphrased answers. If you want to know the full answers, you’ll have to tune in and listen to the archive!
First question: What’s your favorite part of the show?
– Having a team of little clean up elves.
Margot you seem to keep your cool, did you get scared or nervous?
– The camera part doesn’t scare me because I was on live tv for years, but it is nerve racking to work in such a restricted schedule. But it was fun, I’d do it again in a heart beat!
Tell us about the audition process.
-When you do beautiful things take beautiful pictures of it! Having a little bit of bubble in your personality helps as well. You have to learn how to sell yourself a little bit.
Twitter question: I’m a huge fan of Angela Daniels (the Guilty Crafter). Did it feel less guilty being around other crafters?
-No, it didn’t! I maybe even felt more guilty. I was totally guilt-ridden the whole time.
Lisa, was there a lot of pressure being the assistant?
– It was totally an honor. The pressure was there because I really wanted to help Andrea shine. It was certainly exciting. It was just the best roller-coaster ride ever!
Margot, when Tori was coming up to you and asking questions, was it hard to focus?
– It was awkward! I was so distracted by so many things I had to focus on that I barely noticed she had been standing there. It was very weird have to stop in the middle of what you’re doing and have a conversation like that.
Do you think you have to be established in the craft industry to make it on the show?
– No, I don’t think so. You just have to show you have some crafty chops. I think the key is to be bigger than you actually are, so be a little over the top. Be you, just be you magnified.
How are you feeling about your show tonight Angela?
– I am so nervous! A bunch of my friends and I are getting together and watching it on a big screen and I’m humiliated already! A lot of them have never seen what I can do and the first experience they’re getting is me crafting in a panicked state.
Angela, is it hard to take such criticism from the judges?
– I tend to be pretty critical of my own self, so there’s rarely anything that anyone can say to me that I haven’t already told myself. It was a little cringe-worthy, but I knew what was going to happen when I went up there to get judged.
Andrea, tell us a little bit about the process of coming up with your idea on the fly.
– I think a lot of the crafters drew on things we’ve made in the past. I’m also really inspired by Anthropologie so I knew I was going to draw inspiration from that.
Watching the shows, is there any episode that you thought you would have done great in?
– I know there were episodes that I was glad I wasn’t on! Although I think I would have done well on the Pet Shop episode.
Margot, you ended up designing a Christmas tree. Where do you go with it when you realize that somewhere in the challenge you start doing something that another crafter is also doing?
– Well I think it’s all about the journey, so in the end those two trees could not have been more different.
Angela, how did you decide what to wear?
– Oh my gosh, I sweated over this! Patty and I spent endless phone calls and text messages giving and getting opinions. I thought about wearing cute vintage prom dresses, but I am super craft accident prone that we decided to go with something super plain.
Andrea and Lisa, is there an unlimited supply of craft challenge materials?
– It is NOT unlimited supply. You have to go and grab what you see and what you think is going to be the best for your project. It was a lot of pressure to find what you thought was cute and make sure you had enough of them because the other contests would grab them up too.
– There were times I was looking for felt or paper, but there was no more!
Andrea, what was it like having the helpers?
– They were great! You did have to have some strong leadership abilities to tell them what they needed to do, but they were very helpful. What was unfortunate was that Lisa wasn’t really allowed to tell them what to do, which was unfortunate because she’s got such good leadership skills.
Margot, if you HAD to pick another contestant that was on the show, who and why?
– Ooo I definitely would have to pick Angela Daniels because I think we’d rock the house!
Angela, did the Craft Wars vets get an in depth tour of the Micheal’s closet ahead of time?
– No. When the time starts, the time starts. I actually kept finding things in the closet and thinking “Oh I could really use that!” I actually did go into my local Micheal’s ahead of time.
Andrea and Lisa, how are you going to spend the money?
– Well I’m splitting it with Lisa and using it to help grow my business, because you know it’s expensive to start a business.
Does it feel funny or awkward to have the judges and cameras watching you the whole time?
– We were so tunnel vision that I didn’t even realize that they were sitting there watching us the whole time. It was awkward when you finally came up for air and realized they were there.
Margot, I know there are some people that are hating on Craft Wars.
– I see we need crafting back on TV so if this is not your flavor of crafty ice cream, it will open the doors for lots of other flavors of crafty ice cream.
Want to know what Angela Daniels said about her episode that airs tonight? You’ll just have to listen in. We had so much fun talking to all the Craft Wars vets and getting to know the show a little better. Thank you to all our lovely guests!
We pulled together a real Craft Wars style prize from our “prize vault” for our loyal listeners! It’s a great mix of craft supplies that you can use to make anything you’d like. We’d love to see the challenge you put yourself to and what you can come up with in this prize box – craft wars style! Entering could not be easier. Just give us a comment below with the super secret word given in the radio show.
- Contest open to US and Canada residents 18+
- One comment/entry per person.
- Contest closes August 19, 2012 at 11:59p CST.
- Please enter the super secret password from the radio show in the comments in order to be entered.
- Winners will be posted on this blog Monday, August 20th and notified by email
Thanks all! Hope to see you next month, September 11th, for another great show!
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 15 Perfect Spring Felt Projects You’ll Want To Make - April 10, 2017
- April is Stress Awareness Month! Unwind with Knitting and Crochet - April 3, 2017
- Best Yarn for Baby Patterns: 3 Tips for Your Next Project - March 28, 2017