I am a huge proponent of knitting and crocheting to destress. I learned how to crochet about three years ago, and I’ve been knitting for two years. While I still consider myself a beginner in both of these crafts, I do love to unwind with knitting and crochet.
Doing a generative activity like writing, drawing, or even reading can be overwhelming when stressed. The idea of coming up with something new to write or journal about does not seem relaxing if stress levels are already high! Same goes with deciding on an image to draw, and even taking in information from something as light as a novel can go right over my head if I’m distracted and panicked. I’ve found that my favorite things to do when stressed include crocheting, knitting, and playing piano. Not learning a new pattern or song—that is too generative when stressed—but working on an easy pattern or playing a song I’m already familiar with. It’s a beautiful distraction and, in the case of knitting and crochet, I am still making something!
April is stress awareness month, and our friends at the Craft Yarn Council have a lineup of wonderful opportunities and learning experiences to help you destress. Share your story and learn more about what April has to offer when you want to unwind with knitting and crochet.
Next month, during April Stress Awareness Month, Craft Yarn Council (CYC) is encouraging knitters and crocheters to UNWIND and Stitch Away Stress. CYC will use social media to create a space where followers can breath easy and to facilitate conversation about trending topics within the wellness community. Each week we will center conversations around the following themes and how knitters and crocheters use yarn crafting to heal within each of the categories.
Week One: SELF
We will focus on self care and self love. Many wellness platforms have taken up the cause to encourage women specifically to start taking better care of themselves: mind, body and spirit.
Week Two: THE MIND
We will focus on using knit and crochet to both exercise the mind and using it to rest your mind during stressful periods.
Week Three: COMMUNITY
This week will focus on how knitters and crocheters come together to build communities both in their own cities and online.
Week Four: INSPIRATION
The last week we will talk about how inspiration has the ability to heal, where to find it, and how to be an inspiration within the yarn community
How to Get Involved
- Use your social platforms to encourage your audience to join the discussion by sharing their own photos and stories using #StitchAwayStress.
- Download and share CYC’s graphics, animations and the Unwind press release.
- Host your own Unwind contests and giveaways.
- On your blog, share your story of why you knit or crochet and how it has benefitted you.
CYC’s UNWIND Giveaways
Invite your followers to join the Craft Yarn Council all month long for April Stress Awareness month giveaways!
- Share any of CYC’s Stress Awareness Month posts or images on Facebook or Instagram and tell your story to your friends as it relates to the topic of that post. You must use the #stitchawaystress for a chance to win one of four UNWIND prizes. Each prize is valued at $50. Contest runs April 1-30. Winners will be chosen at random and will be announced week of May 8th.
If you are planning to participate in our Unwind Campaign, please shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you! Thank you and with your help we will make this April Stress Awareness Month the best one yet!
What is your favorite way to relieve stress?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 15 Perfect Spring Felt Projects You’ll Want To Make - April 10, 2017
- April is Stress Awareness Month! Unwind with Knitting and Crochet - April 3, 2017
- Best Yarn for Baby Patterns: 3 Tips for Your Next Project - March 28, 2017