Prom is almost here, and you know what that means. It’s time to show off those legs, arms, and fancy dresses for the whole school to see. When we are young we think this day will live in infamy, but later on the pictures are almost comical. I remember my senior prom and how excited I was to wear my evening dress.
Looking back, I could have saved a whole lot of money if I had taken the time to make some DIY prom accessories. Jewelry, a bag, shoes, and a dress come out to a pretty spendy tab! Luckily, there are tons of homemade options for those of us that love to get creative and stand out from the crowd.
I scoured the annals of time to find 20 of the best DIY prom ideas to keep your wallet happy and your style flawless. I hope you love them as much as I do.
5 Dazzling DIY Dresses to Make their Jaws Drop
1) This easy video tutorial shows you how to make a prom dress in under 8 minutes. It’s a great option for visual learners that like to follow along with step-by-step instructions.
2) The girl who made this pop tab dress was featured on the local news with her prom date!
3) She also made a Dorito bag prom dress the following year entirely out of empty chip bags.
4) A long dress is modest and chic. Check out this quick and easy DIY Maxi Dress.
5) For that princess personality, a video teaches you how to make a ravishing homemade dress using your own two hands.
5 Soulful Shoe Projects for the Centerpiece of your Outfit
1) Jazz up your old wedges with some thumbtacks. You can make your own design or just cover them with metal if you’re going for the rocker look.
2) Lady Gaga is getting married soon. This DIY shoes project is inspired by her wild diva days.
3) This red and white duct tape dress is a great example of turning drab into fab. Just fold the tape or line the inside so it doesn’t stick to your body.
4) Houndstooth shoes have a classy, vintage look, but they’re really hard to find. Make your own and add a tassel for the cherry on top.
5) For some kicks, get in touch with your inner punk and make these DIY spiked heels.
5 Handmade Jewels to Decorate Your Body
1) Instead of throwing out your candy wrappers, use them to make this cool homemade creation. Not sure how to make a bracelet ? Follow this tutorial.
2) Pop tabs can be recycled, but they can also be up-cycled. Find some ribbon and make a funky bracelet.
3) This Yves St. Laurent-inspired ring tutorial is the shiniest piece around for barely any money.
4) This simple chainmaille project gives you an awesome body chain to adorn your body with chains, emphasizing your freedom to wear whatever you please.
5) Everyone will be wondering about your origins when you wear handmade DNA earrings. You can just tell them that craftiness runs in the blood.
5 Beautiful Bags to Complete the Ensemble
1) This DIY envelope bag came quicker than the post because it came from your creativity.
2) When used the right way, neckties give a classy vintage look to homemade purses.
3) This Faux Suede and Snakeskin Purse is the coolest DIY purse. The best part about it is that there’s no snake-slaying involved.
4) A Celine-Inspired Trio Bag is simple to make, and it can hold three times as many items.
5) An old cereal box and a faded shirt are all you need to make a boxy purse with a sturdy interior.
What do you think about the Dorito prom dress: tacky or fantastic ?
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- 15 Quick Sewing Projects Under 15 Minutes - July 20, 2014
- What You (Almost) Forgot to Bring: Sewing Purses, Organizers, and More for Travel - July 14, 2014
- Kids and Camping Hacks: 17 Camping Crafts for Kids - July 8, 2014