Sculpted Heart Art Canvas
This three-dimensional heart canvas, designed by Heidi Borchers for Inspired at Home, is created with the help of plaster gauze. Guests will have a hard time not touching with fun wall art.
- Canvas 8” x 8”
- Rigid Wrap Plaster cloth - 4” wide roll
- Acrylic paints - black, white and other assorted colors of your choice
- Brush - ½” flat
- Bowl with water
- Newspaper to cover workspace
- Wax paper
- Paper towels
- Place the wax paper onto your protected workspace. Cut the Rigid Wrap gauze with scissors. You will need 3 to 4 pieces 9” - 10” long for the background of the canvas and 2 pieces 8” for heart background plus 3 half strips 2” x 6” for the swirls on heart.
- To create the background, following the instructions on the package for dipping the Rigid Wrap into water, dip one piece at a time and place onto canvas, stretching and wrapping each piece around the edges of the canvas. Arrange the folds for texture.
- For the heart shape, take the two 8” pieces of the fabric (dip into water as in prior step) and shape into a heart over the wet background fabric. Repeat for the swirls. Smooth out any raw edges that show. Let dry.
- Paint entire piece black. Let dry.
- Use a dry brush technique to paint the background and the heart. For added color dimension, select several shades of the same color and paint several layers of color on the background and the rose. Use a light touch on the paint because you want the black background to peek through.
- If you want a smoother finish to your design, just rub fingers over the wet fabric and smooth out the wet fabric.
- Have fun playing with this designer plaster gauze – you can drape, wrap, scrunch and more!