Dollar Store Cookie Sheet Magnet Board
Turn a dollar store cookie sheet into a pretty, decorative memo board using scrap paper and Mod Podge. This dollar store craft from Maureen Wilson is thrifty and easy to make, and it makes a big impact on your craft room decor. Learn how to make memo boards that are stylish and functional.
- Cookie sheet
- Spray paint
- Scrapbook paper
- Mod Podge
- Paint brush
- Corner rounder punch
Supply Tips: I bought this 9 x13 inch cookie sheet at my local dollar store. When choosing a cookie sheet for this project, it’s best to get one without a non-stick coating, because the spray paint will adhere better. Also, it’s best to select one with protruding handles, because it’s easier to hang.
- I’m starting by giving my cookie sheet a couple coats of color. I’ve chosen a glossy spray paint in aqua. Spray outside, with a piece of wrapping paper or cardboard to protect your work area. It’s also important that you choose a warm day to do this, because the paint won’t apply smoothly on cold metal. Add a light coat, wait for the paint to dry, and apply a second coat.
- Once the cookie sheet is dry, measure the bottom to see how long to cut your paper strips. I’m using some scraps I have left over from another project. The manufacturer is Crate Paper and the line is called Pretty Party. I’m using strips that are 3 inches wide, as well as strips that are 1 inch wide.
- Since my cookie sheet has rounded edges, I’m using a corner rounder paper punch to trim the corners of my top and bottom pieces.
- Now we can adhere the paper. I prefer Mod Podge for this, because it thickens the paper a bit and provides a nice seal. Work with one strip of paper at a time, applying the Mod Podge directly to the cookie sheet. A thin coat works best.
- Smooth the paper strip on top of the Mod Podge. Rub the paper firmly and thoroughly, because this will reduce bubbling when you add the top coat.
- Continue adding the rest of the paper strips. Allow to dry completely.
- Next we’ll add a top coat of Mod Podge. Again, add it thinly. If you see streaks of white, that means it’s too thick, so brush that area again. Allow to dry.
- When your Mod Podge dries, you may notice some bubbling of your paper. To fix this, apply a small amount of Mod Podge to the gap. Work the bubble towards the nearest seam or edge, and rub it firmly with your finger until it flattens and seals.
- The rim on the cookie sheet’s back can serve as the hanger for the nail. Alternately, you could punch a hole in it with a hammer and nail.
Looking for another colorful, easy project? This Retro Potholder add simple flair to your kitchen.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Nov 07, 2018
Clever. I have a few cookie sheets that would use a little tender loving care and be replaced with some new sheets. My grand kids would love to have a "portable" magnet board to play with there little letter magnets. We could also use it to play tic tack toe if I painted on a tic tack toe pattern.
Oct 31, 2018
My Grand mother would have been the perfect person to make this for. We use to joke her about the number of magnets on her fridge and freezer door that the magnets would break the fridge. This would have given her a place to put some of those magnets in another wall of the kitchen and still enjoy all of her collection.
May 05, 2018
I have been trying to fiure out how to do a bard for my sewing room to keep notes Projects on this is perfect. I have everything I need to make it. As soon as I complete it I'll upload a picture of my board, Thanks for this great ideal it was just what I needed to keep up with my sewing stuff!! Paula Bolton
May 02, 2017
I did this craft for my class, and we used them for alphabet boards. They were so pretty and festive that the kids couldn't wait to use them!
Apr 03, 2017
That is really cool. I have the perfect friend to make this for and gift it to her! I have never made a magnet board. I did not know they existed until now. I love the kitsch of the turquoise colored paint. I can see me going to the craft store and buying some vintage inspired novelty scrapbook sheets to decorate this with. Do you know what I want? I want to hot glue a couple large magnets to the back of the cookie sheet so that I can hang this on a metal office cabinet... or my fridge!
Jan 24, 2017
Magnetic boards are such a great decorative idea for any kitchen. This is a great idea for a gift to suit anyone's taste. Making this was so much fun, my sister loves to spray paint and we went with a rustic metallic bronze and copper to make it look rusty. Its always a conversation starter!!
Jun 10, 2016
I found a sheet metal pan at a thrift shop for 50 cents and I made one up for my kitchen. Everyone asked where I bought it and one friend made me an offer to buy it and I ended up giving it to her as a house warming present. Now I have to go get the supplies to make one for myself again.
Dec 20, 2016
I love it when I can find a deal at the flea markets or thrift stores to recycle and make things more easier to afford or even sometimes find something different. I seem to always do the same when people ask where I got it and say I wish I had that and I give it to them and never get around to making me another. Did you ever make you another one? This is so cute and a great idea to put messages on. Did you take a picture?
May 12, 2015
I can't wait to do this project to give to my best friend to go in her new baby's room. It will be done in pinks!
Apr 06, 2014
VERY EASY. INSTRUCTIONS WERE VERY GOOD! I LOVED THE RESULT! THANKS SO MUCH.
Jul 24, 2013
You can also add either Chalk Board paint which comes in both a spray paint version OR a bottled version to it AND/OR Dry Erase Paint depending on how much you want to do on it!
Feb 04, 2013
Love this idea...better than some ideas for such Magnet Boards.
Jan 28, 2013
Super cute project that you can customize to fit your taste and decor. Well written instructions, too. Just be sure NOT to use an aluminum cookie sheet, otherwise the magnets won't stick.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use