Repurposed Old Sock Owls
Got a bunch of old socks lying around? Rurpurposing old socks with crafting is the way to go! These repurposed old sock owls from I Love to Create are cute toys or decorations made from mateless or holey socks.
- Kids socks: assorted sizes
- Paper towels
- Needle and thread to match
- Buttons: ½” (2) per owl in desired color
- Sewing pins
- Jute for hanger, 2 yards
- Masking tape, low tack
- For body, cut across sock, just under heel, using scissors.
- Pin forehead, beak and wing patterns onto ribbing of socks. Cut out.
- To create ears, glue two scrap sections of socks together. Let dry. Cut out ear shapes.
- Fill body section with rice to within 1-1/2” from top. Pinch in sides and apply a dot of glue in pinch to hold in place. Hold with clothespins until dry. Fold excess to back, applying glue on back of flap and press in place creating head of owl. Hold with clothespins until dry.
- Thread needle with contrasting thread to buttons. Sew a few times in holes of buttons. Tie knots at back of button then trim ends.
- Apply glue to back of forehead triangle, smooth with finger to edges then press in place slightly above fold of body. Apply a thin bead of glue along bottom of edge of ear then press in place on back of forehead holding in place with tape if needed until dry.
- Glue buttons, beak and wings in place. Let dry.
- Start flow of Pink Slick Paint on paper towel using an even pressure on bottle for a smooth line. Lay owls on back and flatten. Paint semi-circles on sock to create look of feathers. Let dry.
- Cut a stiff branch with several branches. If needed, several smaller branches can be tied together with raffia to create a wider area for owls to sit on.
- Position owls on branch then remove and apply a thick bead of glue in place. Replace owl and press into glue. Repeat with other owl. Let dry.
- Tie a knot with raffia on one side of branch; determine length of hanger then tie knot on other side. Hold up to see if it hangs straight, if not add another length of raffia and knot at top.
Read NextTwenty Minute Baby Blanket