Felt Christmas Tree Ornament
This is a cute, easy to create, felt Christmas tree ornament you can use to compliment your real tree. Follow this easy pattern and you'll have your own handmade decorative craft!
- Kreinik Very Fine (#4) Braid 053F Lime, 055F Watermelon, 054F Lemon-Lime
- Felt: 4" x 8" pirate green, 4" x 6" cashmere tan (Rainbow Classic felt by Kunin was used)
- 7" x 7" Pellon® Wonder-Under® transfer web
- 7" x 7" Pellon® Fusible Fleece
- Forster® Woodsies" small star
- Ceramcoat® yellow acrylic paint by Delta
- Beacon" FABRI-TAC" permanent adhesive
- Fine-point black permanent pen
- Fine sandpaper
- Pressing cloth
1. Print out these instructions and cut out the tree template.
2. Paint star yellow. Let dry. Draw short stitches around the edge of the star with a fine-point black pen.
3. Cut green felt into two 4" x 4" pieces and the cashmere tan felt into two 2" x 3" pieces. Cover felt with a pressing cloth before fusing. Following manufacturer's directions, apply transfer web to one piece of green felt and one piece of tan felt. Remove paper backing. Apply fusible fleece to the other pieces of green and tan felt. Position green and tan felt pieces wrong sides together and fuse. Pin tree pattern to green felt and tree trunk pattern to tan felt. Cut out felt pieces.
4. Using Very Fine (#4) Braid 053F, blanket stitch around outside edges of tree and tree trunk. (You may need to help your child get started stitching the blanket stitch, but they should get the hang of it pretty quickly.)
5. Using one strand of Very Fine Braid 055F, wrap thread around needle three times and sew 3 French knots on tree in various places. Repeat this procedure with the other colors of braid. (Since it's can be tricky keeping the wrapped thread on the needle as you create the knot, you may need to do this stepfor your child.)
6. Glue tree trunk to bottom of the tree. Glue star to top of the tree.
7. Cut at 10-inch length of Very Fine Braid 053F and knot end. Sew braid on back side of top of ornament, and pull thread to form a 6-inch loop. Knot end of braid in felt. Trim thread.