Use light-reflecting thread to tat twinkling stars for gifts or ornaments. These would make lovely Christmas tree ornaments or handmade card embellishments.
- 2 tatting shuttles (one areo shuttle and one tatsy shuttle, for example)
- size 10 or smaller crochet hook for joining if a hook is not on either shuttle
- Kreinik Medium(#16) Braid in color 032 ( you can also use
- Fine (#8) Braid in 032 for a more delicate snowflake-star)
- 20 pearl beads
- a needle small enough for threading the beads, but large enough to thread with the braid
Thread on the braid the 20 pearl beads. Then wind the larger shuttle. This shuttle will do most of the work. You can either clip threads or unwinde from the spool of thread enough to wind the other shuttle.
* With the shuttle with no beads, make an r of 3ds, 3p sep by 1 ds, 3ds, cl r and rw.
Ch of 3 ds, 3 p sep by 3 ds, 3ds, does not rw. Pick up the shuttle with the beads on and make next ring as follows. On thisnext ring, slip up one bead for each r made.
R of 3ds, J to last p made on the chain, 3ds, add the bead into the p, 3ds, p, 3ds, and cl r.
R of 3ds, j to last r, 3ds, add the bead into the p, 3ds, p, 3ds and cl r.
Repeat the last ring. This makes a cloverleaf. Switch shuttles to the one with no beads.
Ch of 3ds, j to matching p of last r, 3ds, 2p sep by 3ds, 3ds rw.
R of 3ds, j, 3ds, 2 p sep by 3ds, 3ds, cl and rw. Switch shuttles again.
Ch of 3ds, slip a bead into the p, 3ds, Rw and switch shuttles again*
Continue from " to " till you have 5 points to the star. Tie and trim the edges the way you are most comfortable with.
Use any color Kreinik Braid and matching beads to make the star a different color. It's beautiful in a light metallic blue!
Read NextGiant Embroidered Sunflower Blanket