Mini Thank You Gift Tin
Do you love the look of mixed media art? Make a Mini Thank You Gift Tin from Tiffany Windsor for a friend, neighbor or family member and capture the true essence of mixed media projects. Use an old tin that you would otherwise throw away - it's a great way to go green.
- Altoid-type tin
- Fabric scraps
- Yarn scraps
- Sewing machine
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Aleene’s Stop Fraying Glue
- Buttons (I used buttons from Blumenthal Lansing – you can find these at your local craft or fabric store)
- Stickers (I used stickers from SRM Press)
- Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer
- Pencil (or fabric marker)
- Squeegee (to apply glue – I like to use a plastic credit card or cardboard squeegee)
- Select the materials that you will use to decorate your tin. I was lucky to grab this fabric from my sister’s fabric stash. She had sewn it together for the recent Cool2Craft fabric episode so it was all stitched and ready to go!
- Lay the tin face down on back of fabric and draw along edge.
- To keep fabric from fraying when you cut it, apply line of glue along pencil line.
- Gently run finger through glue to smooth over fabric. Do not press but rather gently pull the glue into a very thin layer. If you press too hard, you can press the glue through the fabric and then it will bleed through to the other side. So, use a soft touch on this step. Set aside for about 15 minutes or until glue is dry to the touch. (The glue should be clear.)
- Cut along the inside edge of pattern line.
- Place cut fabric on top of tin to see if you have the correct fit. Trim as needed.
- Apply glue to wrong side of fabric.
- Spread glue into even coat with squeegee.
- Press in place on lid.
- Apply glue to back of button.
- Glue in place on lid.
- I used SRM Stickers to decorate my buttons. Since many of the stickers are larger than the buttons or a different shape, I just applied the sticker and then used my craft knife or small scissors to cut the sticker to fit the button.
- I also like to add a 3D Glaze over the stickers. My favorite is Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer.
- Fill your gift tin with trinkets and treasures. My sister love buttons so I filled this gift tin for her with a collection of message buttons, fun shaped buttons and vintage buttons.