Stretchy Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The best thing about this free baby sweater knitting pattern is that no seaming is required; the easy baby pullover is knit sideways in one piece. Two versions are available for a little boy or girl.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 2 balls for each size Bernat® Baby Stretch (80 g /2.8 oz) #30132 (Bendy Blues) OR #30413 (Skipping Rope)
- Knitting Needles: Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) or size needed to obtain gauge. Size 4 mm (U.S. G or 6) crochet hook for neck edging.
Gauge: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
To fit chest measurement: 12 (18) mos 18 (20) ins
[45.5 (51) cm].
Finished chest: 20 (23) ins [51 (58.5) cm].
The instructions are written for smaller size. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
Note: Garment is worked in one piece sideways from cuff to cuff.
Beg at right cuff, cast on 44 (48) sts. Proceed in stocking st for 4 (5) ins [10 (12.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Place marker at end of last row.
Shape sides: Cast on 32 (38) sts beg next 2 rows. 108 (124) sts. Cont even until work from marker measures 2½ (3¼) ins [6 (8.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape neck: Next row: (RS). K54 (62) (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. Cont even until work from marker measures 5 (5¾) ins [12.5 (14.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Next row: (WS). Cast off 18 (20) sts. Purl to end of row. 36 (42) sts. Next row: Knit to end of row. Cast on 18 (20) sts. 54 (62) sts. Cont even until work from marker measures 7½ (8¼) ins [19 (21) cm], ending with a purl row. Leave these sts on a spare needle.
With RS facing, join yarn to 54 (62) back sts. Cont even until work from marker measures same length as front, ending with a purl row.
Join front and back: Next row: (RS). K54 (62) front sts. K54 (62) back sts. 108 (124) sts. Place a marker at end of last row. Cont even until work from last marker measures 2½ (3¼) ins [6 (8.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape sides: Cast off 32 (38) sts beg next 2 rows. 44 (48) sts at end of 2nd row. Cont even until work from last cast off edge measures 4 (5) ins [10 (12.5) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off. Sew side and sleeve seams. Fold back cuffs.
Neck edging: With RS facing and crochet hook, join yarn with sl st at corner of neck edge and work sc evenly around neck edge. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Fold back lapels as shown and sew in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Peanut Free Halloween Treat Envelope
- Fall Acorn Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Christmas Bauble Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Floral Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Pumpkin Feast Adult Coloring Page
- 17 Free Crochet Patterns for Rugs
- All About Your Heart Coloring Page
- Top 6 Things to Do While Crafting
- Crochet Easy Ribbed Scarf
- 1920s Inspirational Quote Adult Coloring Page
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home