Mokume Gane Pendant
Create a Mokume Gane Pendant from AMACO using polymer clay and fun wire. The black tassel and minimalist aesthetic will surely make this piece a go-to accessory for every outfit. Dress it up for a party or wear it with a plan shirt on the weekend - this pendant is extremely versatile.
- FIMO® Soft Polymer Clay, 2 oz. — Metallic Copper, Metallic Gold, Black, Translucent
- Easy Metal – Gold; 2" and 21/2" (make pattern from compass)
- Liquid FIMO® Decorating Gel
- FIMO® Gloss Varnish
- AMACO® FunWire Black, 24 gauge
- AMACO® Pasta Machine
- AMACO® PolyBlade
- Deep Rubber-Stamps or Texture of Choice
- Black Tassel
- Leather Cording 108" Long (divide into three 36" lengths)
- Condition and flatten each color of clay to the second thinnest setting (#2) on the pasta machine. Stack clays in this order: FIMO® Soft Translucent, Easy Metal – Gold, FIMO® Soft Metallic Gold, FIMO® Soft Metallic Copper, Easy Metal – Gold, FIMO® Soft Black.
- Trim stack evenly. Pass through pasta machine on thickest setting (#7). Cut stack in half and repeat this process three more times. Press texture deeply into stack to manipulate the layers of color below.
- With your PolyBlade ends bent upwards and held only at a slight angle (almost flat), begin shaving off paper-thin slices of the texture. Repeat shaving until the desired mokume gane pattern is revealed.
- Cut out a 2" circle from mokume gane sheet of clay. Bake at 265°F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Flatten Black FIMO® to a #7 (thickest setting). Double this thickness. Cut out a 21/2" circle.
- Smear a thin layer of Liquid FIMO® to the back side of mokume gane circle. Lay the mokume gane circle inside the larger circle and position as desired. Roll a very thin even black log and wrap around the mokume gane circle giving it a nice edge. Roll a 1/16" log eight inches long. Fold in half and twist. Wrap around the outside of the black circle.
- Roll a 1/2" black ball into a 1" log, taper to points at both ends. Press one point to the back, looping over to the front, press. Cover point with a small-flattened ball.
- Bend a 1" piece of wire in half.
- Pendant Latch: Press into bottom center of pendant.
- Flatten a 1" ball. Use scrap slices of mokume gane to decorate the top of this ball. Poke large hole in side. Bake both pieces at 265°F for 1 hour. Let cool.
- String all three strands of cording through the loop on the pendant. Glue ends into hole on latch. Loop opposite ends. Remove wire from bottom of pendant. Add tassel and replace. Glue to secure permanently. Apply gloss varnish.