Looking for fun and interesting mixed media craft ideas? Create your own Crown Brooch from Candace Jedrowicz using cardboard and wire! Give one to someone who deserves to be queen for a day or wear it yourself and show who's the boss!
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- Cardboard tissue box (color of your choice)
- Decorative paper
- 20 gauge wire
- Small focal bead or ephemera for accent
- Round nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Pin back
- Emery board (or fine sand paper)
- Since every thing else depends on the size of your wire shape, you’ll make that first. Cut an 8″ length of wire.Find the center of the wire and grab it with your round nose pliers. Cross both ends over to make a pointed loop in the center. This will be the highest point of the crown.
- Make two bends with the round nose pliers on the sides of the center loop. The bends should be 1/2″ from the bottom of the loop to each bend.
- Make two loops slightly lower than the center loop.
- About an 1″ down from the outside loops, make a 90 degree bend toward the center.
- Grab one end with the round nose pliers and wind a swirl back toward the bend.
- Repeat on the other side. Cut a 2″ length of wire and wind into a spiral.
- On the wrong side of the tissue box, trace around the wire crown with a 1/4″ margin. Cut out the shape.
- Trace around the cardboard shape on another piece of cardboard with an additional 1/8″ margin. Cut out the new shape.
- Glue the large cardboard shape to the decorative paper and trim close to the edge of the shape. Gently sand the edge of the paper for a soft look.
- Glue the two cardboard shapes together with pretty sides forward. Spread a coat of glue on the front cardboard.
- Place the crown and spiral as shown below and place a weight on top. Allow to dry.
- Here is the finished cardboard and wire design.
- Glue your accent on. I used a small foiled polymer clay heart with dimensional sealer. Allow to dry.
- Glue the pin finding on the back. Allow to dry.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make a Mixed Media Crown Brooch.