How to Make a Dog Bed
Your pooch is your best pal, so why not make him a custom bed fit for a canine king?
- Fabric of choice
- Sewing Machine
- Stuffing of choice (old blankets or pillows, cedar chips for scent, foam or polyester pillow filling)
- Matching thread
- Select a tough, easy-to-clean fabric of your (and your pup’s) liking from your local fabric store. Canvas or fabric intended for upholstering works well for this.
- Consider your dog’s size, the space you have, and remember that the bigger the bed the more comfortable for the dog. Fold the fabric in half so that it is the size you have determined and cut excess. When you are finished you should be left with a single piece of fabric, which upon folding, is the size of the bed you wish to make.
- Working with the fabric inside-out (if patterned, the design side should be inside and the plain side on the outside), install a large zipper in the seam by keeping the zipper (mostly) closed and sewing it into the aligning edges of the fabric. Make sure you are sewing the zipper inside out, coordinating with your fabric. Leave it slightly unzipped so that you will be able to turn it right-side-out again.
- Sew the rest of the seam into the bed. When finished your doggie bed’s edges should be a fold, a zipper, and a fully-sewn seam with no openings, including corners.
- Unzip your zipper and turn you bed right-side-out.
- Fill with stuffing of choice. Zip.
- Let Fido enjoy his new bed with a nice afternoon nap!