Easy Pillow Sewing Project
Use felt squares to stitch easy pillows with flowers or personalized initials. This is a great easy sewing project for beginners. Find these easy pillows and 19 other free sewing patterns in the Sewing for Beginners eBook.
Once you master this adorable project, you can use a similar technique to make your own hand warmers! Check out the tutorial for Last Minute DIY Hand Warmers.
- 1 Skein of Embroidery Floss – for Blanket Stitch around outside edge of pillow
- 1 Skein of Embroidery Floss – for Running Stitch for attaching shapes
- 2 Felt Squares, 9" x 12" for pillow
- Contrasting Felt Squares (1 square for initial or 2 squares of different colors for daisy)
- Polyester Fiberfill
- Sewing Basket ExtraLong
- Sewing Basket Embroidery Needle, size 3 or 5
- Sewing Basket 5½" Superior Fabric
- Omnigrid® 6" x 12" Ruler
- Quilting Basket Disappearing Ink
- Marking Pen
- Measure and cut two 9" felt squares for pillow.
- Draw your initial or daisy shape on contrasting colors of felt, using the disappearing fabric marking pen.
- Cut out shapes on marked line.
- Pin felt shape to center of one pillow square. Use a Running Stitch to attach felt shapes. (Figure A) Stitch about 1/8” from cut edge of felt shape.
- Pin pillow front and back together. Stitch outside edges together using a Blanket Stitch. (Figure B) Leave 5" unstitched at bottom for stuffing.
- Stuff pillow. Pin opening closed and complete stitching. TIP: Disappearing ink marks will disappear within 24 – 72 hours, or you can remove them with a damp cloth.