Vinyl Record Bowl
This simple craft turns a vinyl record into a bowl for dried items. This makes a great gift for a music enthusiast.
- Vinyl record
- Oven-safe bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Oven mitts, or even better, oven glove
- Preheat your oven to 200-250 degree Celcius or 400-480 Fahrenheit. At higher temperature, you will only have to put in the record for a few minutes, but you have to be more careful not to melt the vinyl.
- Place your oven-safe bowl upside down on the cookie sheet. Place your record on top.
- Heat in the oven for a few minutes or up to 10 minutes at lower-temperatures. Watch the record the entire time, until it starts to droop and deform. At thispoint, it's ready to mold.
- With the assistance of your oven mitts/gloves, remove the cookie sheet, bowl, and record from the oven. The vinyl will be cooler than the sheet or bowl, but you will not be able to touch it right away. Quickly flip the bowl over and push the record inside the bowl and mold it to the shape of the bowl, pushing it at the bottom. Or, you can leave a smaller bowl flipped over on the cookie sheet, and mold the vinyl around the outside of the bowl.
- If you don't like the shape and it starts to cool, put it back in the oven for a few minutes to soften again.
- Once cool, you can fill the bowl with fruit, popcorn, candy, or even a potted plant. Enjoy!