Plastic Water Bottle and Drinking Straw Necklace
Make fun, eye-popping jewelry from recycled household items! No matter when you wear it, a colorful Plastic Water Bottle and Drinking Straw Necklace will surely make a statement. Have fun with this recycled plastic craft!
- Plastic water bottle
- Sharpie pen - black
- Craft knife
- Fabric - rip 2 or 3 1/2” wide strips and iron them flat
- Glue (I’ve used the Aleene’s Tacky Glue)
- Paper punch 1/8”
- Jump rings - one 3/8”dia. and two 1/8” dia.
- Needle nose pliers
- Embroidery floss - 3 pieces each about 30” long (to match fabric) and 1 piece about 24” to wrap around pendant
- Plastic drinking straws
- Beads - assorted colors to match fabric
- Jewelry findings - lobster claw closure - 2 findings to hold the floss
- Trace the square shape for the pendant onto the plastic water bottle using the Sharpie pen.
- Place glue onto the back of the square plastic for pendant. Place end of one of the fabric strips into the glue.
- Wrap the strip of fabric around the plastic piece and place small amounts of glue as you wrap.
- Glue the end of the fabric strip to the back of the pendant. Let glue dry.
- Punch a hole with a 1/8” paper punch at the top center of one side of the pendant.
- Attach a 3/8” jump ring through the punched hole.
- Center and tie the three strands of the embroidery floss onto the jump ring.
- To make beads from the plastic drinking straws, cut the straws into 1/2” pieces. Apply glue onto the straw, place fabric into the glue.
- Glue the end of fabric to finish straw bead.
- String glass beads and fabric wrapped straw beads onto the 6 strands of embroidery floss. See finished project photo for placement of all beads.
- When finished stringing to the length you want, clamp the embroidery floss together on each side. Attach a jump ring to each clamp. Finish necklace with a lobster claw clasp.
- To place beads onto the pendant, thread beads onto a piece of embroidery floss, and wrap around the pendant. Tie and glue ends at the back of the pendant.
For a complete video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make a Water Bottle & Drinking Straw Necklace.
Read NextFall Mason Jars