Oversized Drink Bottle Pendant
Want to make recycled jewelry that stands out from the crowd? Save an empty plastic bottle and create an Oversized Drink Bottle Pendant from Heidi Borchers that you can wear with any outfit. Use paint pens instead of real "bling" - they add a ton of sparkle!
- Plastic drink bottle -with interesting bottom!
- Smooth sided plastic bottle – for jewelry bail
- Craft knife
- Paint pen (or acrylic paint) to color in detail
- Acrylic paint – black (or other background color of your choice)
- Cosmetic sponge
- Small hole punch (for rivet)
- Small craft rivet
- Rivet setter
- Flat backed marble or other flat backed stone (optional for center of pendant)
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue (optional to glue marble in place)
- Use craft knife to carefully puncture side of bottle. Cut off bottle bottom.
- Working on the inside of the bottle (the wrong side) use paint pen to color in recessed design areas.
- If desired, add paint dots along outside edge.
- Pour small puddle of black acrylic paint onto palette. Dab cosmetic sponge into paint. Dab on inside of bottle bottom to begin painting entire inside surface.
- This is what the black paint looks like after one coat. As you can see, it takes several coats of paint on the plastic to get an opaque finish.
- To create bail, cut strip from smooth side of plastic bottle approximately 3″ x 1″. Paint on back side with black paint. Fold in half and punch holes at cut end approximately 1/4″ from edge.
- Determine placement of bail on pendant and punch hole in pendant to match holes in bail. Line up folded bail over punched hole in pendant and insert rivet from the outside.
- Use rivet tool to set rivet to attach bail to pendant.
- String pendant as desired. Also, if desired, glue flat back marble to center of pendant for added design element.
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Make a Big Pendant from Water Bottle Bottom.