Making Reusable Shopping Bags from Placemats
The question is “Paper or Plastic.” The answer is ‘No thank you…. I brought my own bag!’ Let’s help the planet by not using plastic bags or paper bags when we are out shopping. Lots of stores do sell the fabric reusable bags. Here’s an idea using a fabric placemat, to make your own reusable bag and upcycle at the same time.Placemat reusable bag… it’s easy to make and lots of us have fabric placemats around the house!!
Placemat Shopping Bag design by Heidi Borchers
Placemats from World Market Cost Plus
- Placemats 2 for the bag sides 13-½” x 19”
- 1 partial placemat for the handles-you will need 2 strips- 2” x 21”
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread (optional)
- To prepare handles, on each strip, fold back ½” on each edge and stitch.
- Place the two placemats for bag sides, wrong sides together. Overlap about 1” each at sides, stitch the overlapped edge together on outside of placemat. Repeat with opposite side. Stitch bottom edges of both placemats together. Note (If the thickness is to thick to get through sewing machine, stitch together with a needle and thread).
- Measure and mark the center of the top edge of the bag. One handle will be sewn on each side of bag (see photo for placement of handle) Place each handle approx. 3-¼” from center mark (there will be a 4-½“ space between handle). Each handle edge will be approx. 3-¼” from top edge. Pin to help hold until you stitch. Stitch into place, making sure all edges are lined up. When you stitch the handle on each side for extra hold also stitch an ’x’ inside first stitching.
Read NextDaisy Toilet Paper Roll Craft