Earth Tones Jewelry Set
Using the colors of the woods in near the end of fall around my home, this felt and wood bead set is busting with earthy flair.
- Dark and light brown felt squares
- Blue Moon light and dark topaz bead mixes
- Beading needle
- Bead wire
- Round wood beads
- Oval wood beads
- Pit beads
- DMC Metallic floss
- DMC Brown floss
- Crimp beads
- Crimper tool
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire cutters
Beaded Felt Beads
- You will cut felt into strips. You’ll need: 4 light brown strips 1 1/8” x 8”, 1 light brown 1 1/2” x 8, 4 light brown 1” x 8”, 6 dark brown 3/4” x 8.
- Using a knitting needle or other type of solid rod that’s no more than 1/8” diameter roll strip into a bead. The knitting needle keeps the bead hole open. As you stitch in the next steps do not hit the knitting needle with your beading needle. If you hit the knitting needle you will be closing or blocking the bead’s hole when you take the finished bead off the knitting needle.
- Cut about 36” of metallic floss. Separate the strands. Thread a single thread onto beading needle. Place knot at end of floss. Slip needle under lip of felt bead at one end, bring to front. Wrap metallic thread around the felt bead going from one end to the other. When you get to the end of the metallic thread knot off at felt bead seam.
- Cut about 36” of brown floss. Separate the strands. Thread a single thread onto beading needle. Slip needle under lip of felt bead at one end, bring to front.
- Open bead mixes and pour into bowl. Sting on mini bead mixes beads in random pattern. String on 6” of mini beads.
- Wrap strung beads around felt bead. Wrap remaining floss around felt bead and when you get to the end of the floss knot off at felt bead seam.
- You can add more beads or floss if you like. Keep beads on knitting needle until you need to use them.
- You need to add mini beads to: 2 light brown 1 1/8” wide beads, 1 light brown 1 1/2” wide bead, and 2 dark brown 3/4” wide bead.
- The remaining 4 light brown and 4 dark brown 3/4” beads are just wrapped with brown and metallic floss threads.
- Measure and cut 3 strands of beading wire 25” long. Thread the 3 beading wire strand through the beaded felt beads. String light brown 1 1/8” wide bead, dark brown ¾” bead, light brown 1 1/2” bead, dark brown 3/4” bead, and light brown 1 1/8” bead. Center wires so equal lengths on each side.
- Starting on left side, string on random pattern of mini beads to 7”.
- Crimp the 3 beaded 7” strands to one part of clasp.
- Repeat Steps 1-3 for right side of necklace.
- Measure and cut 11” of beading wire. Crimp on toggle part of clasp
- String on for light brown felt bead bracelet: 5 brown seed bead from mini bead mix, oval wood bead, pit bead, oval wood bead, felt bead, oval wood bead, felt bead, oval wood, felt bead, oval wood bead, felt bead, oval wood bead, pit bead, oval wood bead, pit bead.
- String on for dark felt bead bracelets: pit bead, round wood bead, dark brown felt bead, pit bead, dark brown felt bead, pit bead, dark brown felt bead, pit bead, dark brown felt bead, round bead, pit bead.
- Crimp second part of clap and trim.
Make simple earrings to coordinate with the necklace and bracelet by using a head pin. String on a pit or round wood bead onto headpin. Form loop, trim, and close loop over earring wire.