Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
Candy Cane Ski Snowman
By: Debra Quartermain for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This handmade snowman decoration is quick and easy to make! Frosty is ready to go downhill skiing with his candy cane skis. This adorable guy can be an outdoor snowman decoration or follow this tutorial for how to make a snowman table decoration - it works both ways!
- STYROFOAM™Brand Foam:
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 1-1/2"
- Egg, 6"
- Fleece: white, 1/6 yd.; red, 1/4 yd.
- Red/white checked fabric, 2 1/2" x 45"
- Fiberfill stuffing, or four cotton balls
- Red embroidery floss
- White pom pom, 2"
- White buttons, 1/2", two
- Black beads, 8mm, two
- Embroidery needle
- Four Wrapped candy canes, 8" long
- Serrated knife
- Paraffin or Candle stub
- Cosmetic blush
- Circle templates: 5"; 3"
- Iron, ironing board
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- White, thick craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin slices from opposite ends of foam egg and one side of larger foam ball. Cut smaller foam ball in half.
- Clean stray bits of foam from work surface before cutting fabrics. Cut the following pieces from white fleece: 6" x 12" body; 5" circle for head; two 3" circles for hands.
- Fold red fleece in half widthwise; fold in half again lengthwise. Place sweater pattern on folded fleece, aligning "center" with double-folded edge; cut out. In addition, cut nose pattern and 8" x 11" rectangle from red fleece. Fold rectangle in half and refer to diagram to cut out hat.
- Center rounded side of larger foam ball on wrong side of 5" white fleece circle. Gather fleece evenly up over flat side of head, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trim excess fabric.
- Choose smoothest side of ball for face. Refer to photo to create face. Use scissors point to make two holes for eyes in foam, 3/8" apart. Glue beads in place, pushing firmly into holes. Glue nose to face. Use fingertip to apply blush to cheeks.
- Use three strands red floss to stitch 2" smile. Bring embroidery needle from back of head, through foam ball, to face. Stitch mouth through fleece only. To finish, take floss back through foam ball to back of head; knot and clip thread.
- Evenly wrap 6" x 12" white fleece rectangle cut in Step 2 around foam egg body, overlapping fleece edges at back; glue fleece edges to secure. Gather fleece evenly under flat base of egg, pulling tight; glue fleece to foam to secure. Trim excess fabric.
- For hands, place each foam half-ball rounded side down in center of 3" white fleece circle. Apply line of glue around edges of fleece. Glue fleece to flat sides of hands.
- Place sweater on work surface, right sides together and underarms aligned. Glue underarm seams; let dry. Clip corners and turn sweater right side out. Repeat for hat.
- Place check fabric right side down on ironing board. Fold each long edge in 3/4" and press, creating 1" x 45" strip.
- Apply glue to neck end of body. Place sweater over top of body and then glue flat side of head to neck. Stuff sleeves lightly with fiberfill or cotton balls. Glue hands into bottoms of sleeves with flat sides toward body; do not glue hands to body. Glue hat on head and pom pom to tip. Let dry.
- Wrap check trim around edge of hat, neck, sweater bottom and sleeves, cutting trim lengths as needed. Glue trim in place, overlapping at back.
- Sew red floss "X" through buttons; glue buttons to sweater.
- Cut curved ends from two candy canes; glue poles to hands as shown. Glue hands to body. Glue remaining candy canes to bottom of body for skis.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 40+ Fabulous Decoupage Ideas
- Metallic Duct Tape DIY Candles
- "Quick and Easy Decoupage" eBook from Plaid
- 17 Free Birdhouse Designs
- Herringbone DIY Painted Rug
- 24 Craft Ideas for Seashells
- 26 Gorgeous Butterfly Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas, Paper Crafts, and More
- 20 Retro Vintage Crafts
- 19 Button Crafts for You and Your Home
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Heidi Gustad
- 16 Free Knitted Slipper Patterns + Knit Slippers for Christmas
- Crochet Ripple Afghan Troubleshooting Guide
- Daisy Pom Pom Mandala
- Festive Sparkle Star Mandala
- Pine Cone Christmas Trees for Kids
- Recycled Christmas Cards
- Last Minute Christmas Decor Redo
- How To Make Realistic Fake "Raw Cotton" Branches
- How to Subscribe and Unsubscribe from Newsletters