Easy Hexagon Rug
This Easy Hexagon Rug from Red Heart Yarn is perfect for a small area, like by your bed or in your kitchen. Floor rugs like this can be used as indoor and outdoor mats and are great for keeping your feet warm and clean in every season!
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 2 Skeins each 320 Cornmeal A and 633 Dark Sage B; and 4 skeins 631 Light Sage C
- Crochet Hook: U.S. Sizes N-15 [10 mm] and J-10 [6 mm]
Size: Rug measures 32” across.
Gauge/Tension: GAUGES: 8 sts = 5” with larger hook and 4 strands held together. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hooks to obtain the gauges given.
- NOTE: Use 4 strands of A or B or C held together as one throughout. For ease in working, wind each of A and B into 4-strand balls: hold the beginning and ending strand of each of 2 skeins together and wind all 4 strands together into a ball.
- With larger hook and 4 strands of C, ch 2.
- Round 1 (Wrong Side): 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook; join with a slip st in first sc; turn – 6 sc.
- Round 2: Ch 1; yo and insert hook into first sc, yo and draw loop through st and through one loop on hook, yo and draw loop through remaining 2 loops on hook – long hdc made; long hdc in same sc, [2 long hdc in next sc] 5 times; join with a slip st in first st; turn – 12 sts.
- Round 3: Ch 1, [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 6 times; join with a slip st in first sc; turn – 18 sc.
- Round 4: Ch 1, [2 long hdc in next sc, long hdc in next 2 sc] 6 times; join with a slip st in first st; turn – 24 sts.
- Round 5: Ch 1, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] 6 times; join with a slip st in first sc; turn – 30 sc.
- Round 6: Ch 1, [2 long hdc in next sc, long hdc in next 4 sc] 6 times; join with a slip st in first st; turn – 36 sts.
- Round 7: Ch 1, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] 5 times; join with a slip st in first sc; turn – 42 sc.
- Rounds 8-23: Repeat rounds 6-7, increasing 6 sts each round and alternating long hdc on right side rounds and sc on wrong side rounds; change to 4 strands of A in last st of last row. There will be 138 sts at end of Round 23. Fasten off C.
- Continue in pattern as before and work 2 rounds with A, then 4 rounds with B, then 2 rounds with A. There will be 186 sts at end of last round. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Motif (Make 12): With smaller hook and 2 strands of A held together as one, [ch 10, slip st in 10th ch from hook] 3 times. Fasten off. Sew motifs to the B band as pictured.
Read NextInfinity Rug
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Nov 14, 2018
I had to get up and get my tape measure to determine what size this hexagon area rug would be. I have no sense of measurement. I love how this turned out but I don't think it is really cost effective. Red Heart super saver yarn is really economical but for this pattern is requires you use four strands while working. This little area would could potentially cost you $25 or more.
Oct 31, 2018
I am in need of new rugs because of a move to a house. We now have hard wood floors that I absolutely love but I know I am going to miss carpet when it really gets cold. Making my own rug will allow me to tailor the color and size. I like this design. Thanks for sharing this quality crochet pattern.
Aug 06, 2015
Mar 13, 2013
This is so pretty and it seems like it wouldn't take forever since you use 4 strands. The long hdc is a new stitch for me, so I hope I can get the hang of it. Thanks!
Dec 02, 2012
it would be nice to have a video on how to make this rug
Nov 29, 2012
I have made a different rug and it seems unfinished without a backing. How do you recommend backing a rug. If I use sheeting will it slip? is there a non skid backing for rugs?
Jul 13, 2012
It has a Celtic look. I will be making this one. Thanks for sharing the pattern,.
Feb 15, 2012
Looks interesting can't wait toy try!!!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use