Solar System Model
Don't be astronomically ignorant! This accurate model of the solar system is a great DIY way for kids to learn about both crafting and science.
You can find this project and more kids' crafts in our free eBook, Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids!
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- 2-4-1/2" Rings
- 1- Ball each: 1", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 4", 6"
- 2- Balls each: 1-1/4", 1-1/2"
- 1- Sheet each, 12" x 36"
- Acrylic paint: (Bright Yellow, Black, Orange, Blue Danube, Ultra Blue, Christmas Green, Bright Red, Village Green, Nectar Coral, Terra Cotta, Seminole Green and Purple)
- 2- Wooden dowel rods, 36" x 1/8"
- Paint brush
- Craft snips
Cut the dowel rods to the lengths shown on the chart below. Paint them Black and stand them in a foam sheet to dry. Note: you may need adult supervision to trim the dowels.
Using the chart as a guide, glue the cut dowels into the corresponding balls of STYROFOAM brand foam, then paint each ball. When two colors are given paint the ball with the first color, let it dry then dab on spots of the second color with your finger.
Glue the sun to the black ring and the coral ring around Saturn.
Place a rubber band around the sun about 2-1/2" above the base. This will be your guide for placing the planets. Starting with Mercury, glue the dowels into the sun about 1" below the rubber band. Remove the rubber band when all of the planets are attached.