Easy Christmas Ornament Tutorials, Simple Recycled Ornaments, Free Tips, Ideas and More
By: The Editors of FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This holiday season, try making your own Christmas ornaments. Homemade Christmas ornament crafts are a great way to spend some extra time with your family or kids, and the ornaments are something you can cherish for years to come. Whether you are looking for a way to make homemade Christmas ornaments with your kids, Cinnamon dough ornaments, wooden Christmas ornaments or glass, the Editors at FaveCrafts have put together this guide that is sure to have something for everybody.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Simple Homemade Christmas Ornament Ideas
More Free Homemade Christmas Ornament Projects
Easy Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
How to Make an Angel Christmas Ornament Video Tutorial
Other Homemade Christmas Tree Ornament Tips and Ideas
Kids love to help create something that will be hung on the Christmas tree for all to see.
Cereal Wreaths- Take a box of Shredded Wheat or other cereal of the same texture (especially if some has gone stale before you had a chance to eat it!). Pour glue into a bowl and add green food coloring drops at a time until you have the right color. Let the kids roughly break apart the Shredded Wheat into the bowl. As you stir the wheat into the glue, it will break up further. The kids can do this with their hands! Add more wheat or colored glue to get the consistency right. Take a spoonful and shape into a wreath. While the mixture needs to hold together, do not press too tightly together or you will lose the texture. Place on wax or greased paper to dry. Once they are all on the paper, coat with another layer of glue to hold them together. Once dry, embellish with small red beads and a tiny red bow, and hang with ribbon.
Popsicle or Craft Sticks- You can easily turn craft sticks into a variety of shapes and Christmas characters. Five craft sticks can be glued together, overlapping, for a star. Paint with glow-in-the-dark paint for a fun touch. Or, paint a craft stick white, and make a little black hat out of belt. Paint an orange line for the carrot nose, and black dots for the eyes, mouth, and buttons. Tie and ribbon around the stick for a scarf and you have a cute little snowman. Use the same general idea for making a Santa. Create a “sled” by gluing four or five craft sticks next to one another. I prefer the reindeer!
Felt Trees and Gingerbread Men- Use cookie cutters or download a pattern for your preferred Christmas shape. For Gingerbread Men, use rick rack (the white squiggly stuff!) to make a border around the outside of the felt. Add googly eyes, felt buttons, a little bowtie, and more. For the felt trees, you sequins to create garland and mini-ornaments, and don’t forgot the gold star on top!
Puzzle Piece Reindeer/Wreath- Gather up spare puzzle pieces from incomplete or mixed-up puzzles (this always seems to happen with young kids). Paint the puzzle pieces green if you want to make a wreath. Use several different colors for a varied look. Allow to dry and glue together into a circle, layering the pieces. Tie a red bow at the bottom and hang with an ornament hanger or a ribbon. For the reindeer, paint the pieces brown and create a head by layering several together. Glue 1-2 pieces for each antler. Add a red pom pom for the nose and googly eyes.
Want an easy Christmas craft project for the children? This is it! And the smell it creates? Heavenly!
- Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint
- 65000 White
- 65032 Leaf Green
- 65141 Bright Red
- Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue®
- Tulip® Glam-It-Up!™ Iron-On Crystals™
- TR325 Crystal 4mm
- Ribbon, to Hang Ornaments
- Drinking Straw
- Measuring Spoons
- Wax Paper
- Paper Towels
- Measuring Cup
- Cookie Cutters
- Wire Rack
- Plastic Food Wrap
- Rolling Pin
Recipe for Easy Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments:
1 cup cinnamon
1 tablespoon cloves
1 tablespoon nutmeg
¾ cup applesauce, drained
2 tbsp glue
- Combine cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Add applesauce and glue. Mix well with hands until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Place wax paper down onto work surface.
- Roll one quarter of dough between two pieces of wax paper until about ¼” thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters, etc.
- Cut holes for hanging using straw or similar object.
- Dry on wire rack for several days, turning daily to keep from curling. Option - dry in a 250 degree F oven until hard.
- For stones, squeeze out a dot of Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint slightly smaller than size of stone. Place stone into paint and gently press so paint comes up and around stone.
- Refer to photo when decorating ornaments. Start flow of paint on a paper towel, applying an even pressure on bottle for a smooth line. Create polka dots or lines using different colors. Let dry completely.
- Cut ribbon to desired length. Run through hole and knot at end of ribbon.
For even more free Christmas craft ideas and tips, click here.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Unique Tampon Angel Christmas Ornament
- Crochet Candy Cane Steering Wheel Cover
- "34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar" eBook
- Teardrop Christmas Ornaments
- Crochet Snowman Family
- 123 Easy Christmas House Crafts
- Christmas Goodie Pop Top Cans
- Top 20 Ways to Recycle After the Holidays with Crafting
- Quick Spiral Quilt Christmas Tree Skirt
- Merry Christmas Coloring Page
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Wedding Photos Home Decor Display
- Pretty Polka Dot Patio Furniture
- Coloring Book Jewelry Set
- Checkerboard Easy Chair
- Dancing Sheep Crochet Hat
- Swirl Tie Dye Technique
- 17 Free Modern Baby Knitting Patterns
- Quilling: Basic Materials and Technique
- Rustic Chic Love Chicken Wire Frame
- Today You Will Rule the World Coffee Trivet