Bead and Fiber Candles
Double-sided tape allows you to easily spruce up purchased candles with beads and metallic fibers. Use these candles for elegant, everyday decor or use for holiday festitivites. Remember, groups of three candles work well visually according to interior design rules.
- Pillar candle (purchased from a discount store)
- Burgundy cabochons
- Kreinik Threads used in the burgundy candle model: #12 Braid 308 Colonial Red, 150V Vintage Amber, 152V Vintage Sienna,1/8" Ribbon 203 Flame.
- Diamond Beadlets®
- 1" roll of double-sided red-liner Treasure Tape
- Ziploc® bag or shallow tray
- Kreinik threads used in the golden candle model: #12 Braid 850 Mallard, 3202 Cat's Eye, 1/8" Ribbon 087C Meadow Grass
- Apply tape to the base of your candle. (Make sure your tape is above the part of the candle which sits in a holder; you can place it in a holder and make a line as a guide)
- Remove the red liner from your tape. Begin embellishing with thread. We recommend starting at one edge and working upwards. Use the liner or your fingers to press your threads into the tape occasionally.
- When you are done embellishing, place your candle in a shallow tray or a Ziploc® bag and pour beadlets over the exposed tape. Swirl with fingers to cover fully, and tap to remove excess beadlets.
Note: This technique is intended primarily for decorative candles. If you intend to burn the candle, be careful not to let it burn down to the decorated area. For large pillar candles, you can burn them down partway and then insert a tea light inside, and light that instead.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.
Read NextCitronella Wine Bottle Crafts