Vintage Notions: An Inspirational Guide to Needlework, Cooking, Sewing, Fashion, and Fun
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
By Amy Barickman
Gifted by Amy Barickman, LLC
Reviewed by Melissa Conner
Welcome back to the days of inspirational essays, clever sewing patterns, cooking basics, and beautiful illustrations all jam packed into one colorful and fun publication. Welcome back to femininity, inspiration, and the simple pleasure of pulling a string through a canvas.
Vintage Notions, inspired by the works of Mary Brooks Picken (the founder of The Woman’s Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences in Scranton, Pennsylvania), is a treasure of a book by Amy Barickman. It is a testament to other publications like “The Ladie’s Home Journal”, “Country Living”, and “Better Homes and Gardens”. Filled with beautiful vintage sewing patterns, old traditional recipes, and lovely illustrations scattered throughout the book, Vintage Notions highlights everything that’s wonderful about the creative woman…and offers helpful tips on how to be a vintage inspired domestic goddess.
Broken down by season, this book has all the recipes and patterns you’ll need for the coming year. Each season contains a little storage pocket at the beginning of every chapter, a great place to store recipe clippings or fabric scraps. Scattered throughout the book are helpful and inspiring essays, secrets to making the perfect soup and pies, the ABC’s of looking beautiful, and even some helpful advice on how to look good in lacy undergarments. There are also several vintage sewing patterns for everything from hats to aprons.
I couldn’t help but smile looking through Vintage Notions. I loved the essay titled, “Carrying Your Problems Cheerfully”, a helpful guide on how to look beautiful and put on a smile, no matter what’s getting you down. I also book marked a recipe for Cranberry Meringue Pie, which sounds absolutely delightful for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Vintage Notions is a book every girl should have on hand. From helpful advice on how to set up the best summer picnic to great suggestions on how you can reuse your husband’s large shirts to create stylish attire, Vintage Notions is proof that the domestic diva still reigns supreme!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Bouffants and Broken Hearts Adult Coloring Book Review
- Card Making with Cricut
- Jessica Palmer's Tangle Magic, Tangle Bay and Tangle Wood Coloring Books Review
- Steampunk Chic
- Bath Knits Book Review
- The Simple Art of Japanese Papercrafts
- Crazy Cool Duct Tape Projects
- How to Make Stuffed Animals
- Creative Dyeing for Fabric Arts
- Metal Clay & Color: Inventive Techniques from 20 Jewelry Designers
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 11 Easter Crafts for Kids
- 100+ Easter Crafts
- Duo of Bears Unisex Baby T-Shirt
- Cross My Heart Treat Bag
- How to Sew a Zipper into a Lined Skirt
- Tiny Valentine Gift Boxes
- Pretty Hearts Hot Pad
- DIY Mini Pallet Photo Magnets
- Padded Denim Hearts for Decoration or Keyring
- Faux Topiary Heart Place Card Holders