Have a Green Christmas with Handmade Gifts
Northbrook, Ill., December 19, 2008 – This year holiday shoppers are getting crafty in a response to increasing economic hardships and a surge in environmental awareness. Craft suppliers and distributors of handmade goods are seeing an influx of seasonal customers.
An online poll conducted for arts and crafts retailer Michaels Stores Inc. says more holiday shoppers plan to spend their money on homemade gifts while cutting back in some of the season’s most popular categories, including electronics, toys and travel. Fifty-eight percent of respondents in the survey of more than 1,000 people stated they were more likely to make gifts this year versus last year, and 41 percent said handmade gifts were the best use of their holiday shopping dollars this year.
Sue Blatt, co-founder of Renegade Craft Fair and owner of Renegade Handmade Boutique in Chicago, Ill., says she has seen a rise in green crafting, which she attributes to the growth of environmental concerns. “I think people are buying green for the holidays. It makes them feel good about what they're buying and giving others. Right now, some of our hottest commodities [in our store] are recycled book journals and birdhouses/picture frames made from old barn wood.”
Web startup FaveCrafts.com, which offers tips and project ideas for every skill level, has seen a steady increase in traffic to their Christmas crafting and green crafting tutorials in recent weeks. In response to this trend, FaveCrafts.com is adding new environmentally conscious holiday projects and tips daily.
For additional information on green holiday crafting, contact Kelly Mellott or visit www.favecrafts.com.
About FaveCrafts – FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every style and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, contests and giveaways.
Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking.
- Beautiful Embroidered Cocktail Napkins
- Crochet Beach Tote Bag Pattern
- Beginner Tote Bag
- Cute as a Button Snowman
- 36 Uses for Toilet Paper Rolls
- Alaskan Winter Crochet Afghan
- Kitchen Towel Hangers
- Fun n' Colorful Glass Canisters
- Wooden Spoon Wall Art
- 1000+ Recycled Crafts: Crafting with Recyclable Items
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Felt Organizers Set
- Recycled Milk Carton Stationery Organizer
- Vintage Lamb Crochet Toddler Hat Pattern
- Witch Hat Topiary Halloween Centerpiece
- Hemp Cord
- Winter Frost DIY Succulent Planters
- New Year's Ball Drop Display
- Absolutely Adorable DIY Mason Jar Candle
- Metallic Glittered Star Assortment
- Cute Crochet Macarons