Have a Green Christmas with Handmade Gifts
Northbrook, Ill., December 19, 2008 – This year holiday shoppers are getting crafty in a response to increasing economic hardships and a surge in environmental awareness. Craft suppliers and distributors of handmade goods are seeing an influx of seasonal customers.
An online poll conducted for arts and crafts retailer Michaels Stores Inc. says more holiday shoppers plan to spend their money on homemade gifts while cutting back in some of the season’s most popular categories, including electronics, toys and travel. Fifty-eight percent of respondents in the survey of more than 1,000 people stated they were more likely to make gifts this year versus last year, and 41 percent said handmade gifts were the best use of their holiday shopping dollars this year.
Sue Blatt, co-founder of Renegade Craft Fair and owner of Renegade Handmade Boutique in Chicago, Ill., says she has seen a rise in green crafting, which she attributes to the growth of environmental concerns. “I think people are buying green for the holidays. It makes them feel good about what they're buying and giving others. Right now, some of our hottest commodities [in our store] are recycled book journals and birdhouses/picture frames made from old barn wood.”
Web startup FaveCrafts.com, which offers tips and project ideas for every skill level, has seen a steady increase in traffic to their Christmas crafting and green crafting tutorials in recent weeks. In response to this trend, FaveCrafts.com is adding new environmentally conscious holiday projects and tips daily.
For additional information on green holiday crafting, contact Kelly Mellott or visit www.favecrafts.com.
About FaveCrafts – FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every style and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, contests and giveaways.
Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking.
- 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
- 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Bullseye Tie Dye Technique
- White Stripes Knit Dishcloth Pattern
- Amazing Infinity Crochet Scarf
- 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- 25 Easy to Make Water Bottle Crafts
- 17 Pokemon-Inspired Crochet Patterns You'll Adore
- Crochet Snowman Family
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Roller Skate Booties
- Pom-Pom Booties from 'Vintage Knits'
- Washi Tape Bangle Bracelet
- A-Line Sleeveless Dress for Girls
- DIY Nightstand from an Old Wine Crate
- Easy Square Coaster
- Sun Suit Pattern
- "I Heart You" Crochet Pillow Pattern
- Slip Stitch Hat
- Unforgettable One Skein Knit Scarf