Have a Green Christmas with Handmade Gifts
Northbrook, Ill., December 19, 2008 – This year holiday shoppers are getting crafty in a response to increasing economic hardships and a surge in environmental awareness. Craft suppliers and distributors of handmade goods are seeing an influx of seasonal customers.
An online poll conducted for arts and crafts retailer Michaels Stores Inc. says more holiday shoppers plan to spend their money on homemade gifts while cutting back in some of the season’s most popular categories, including electronics, toys and travel. Fifty-eight percent of respondents in the survey of more than 1,000 people stated they were more likely to make gifts this year versus last year, and 41 percent said handmade gifts were the best use of their holiday shopping dollars this year.
Sue Blatt, co-founder of Renegade Craft Fair and owner of Renegade Handmade Boutique in Chicago, Ill., says she has seen a rise in green crafting, which she attributes to the growth of environmental concerns. “I think people are buying green for the holidays. It makes them feel good about what they're buying and giving others. Right now, some of our hottest commodities [in our store] are recycled book journals and birdhouses/picture frames made from old barn wood.”
Web startup FaveCrafts.com, which offers tips and project ideas for every skill level, has seen a steady increase in traffic to their Christmas crafting and green crafting tutorials in recent weeks. In response to this trend, FaveCrafts.com is adding new environmentally conscious holiday projects and tips daily.
For additional information on green holiday crafting, contact Kelly Mellott or visit www.favecrafts.com.
About FaveCrafts – FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every style and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, contests and giveaways.
Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking.
- 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
- 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- Simply Savvy Crochet Ruana Pattern
- Caroling Gloves
- Santa's Christmas Cowboy Boot
- Holiday Candle Holders
- Candy Cane DIY Soap Recipe
- Grandma's Knitted Slippers
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- The Thinker Dragon Coloring Page
- 18 Sewing Videos to Master Every Knot and Stitch
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page