Craft Green this Halloween
Celebrate an eco-Friendly Halloween this year with tips and DIY tricks to green your holiday, including crafts for homemade costumes and decorations, at FaveCrafts.com.
October 11, 2010—Between candy wrappers, fake spider webs and one-time-use costumes, the multi-billion dollar Halloween industry generates a terrifying amount of waste each year. This waste, most of which is non-biodegradable plastic, has a detrimental impact on our planet. With awareness of the problem and a few simple tricks from popular crafting website www.FaveCrafts.com, people can reduce their Halloween waste and celebrate the holiday in an eco-friendly way.
Halloween is undoubtedly a popular holiday for Americans to celebrate. The National Retail Federation’s 2009 Halloween Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted by BIGresearch, estimates that Americans will spend $4.75 billion on Halloween this year. This staggering retail consumption will create a lot of trash, much of which is non-recyclable and non-biodegradable. While some of these plastic pumpkin carriers and president masks will be sent the landfill, a scary amount of Halloween waste will end up in our oceans.
Today most waste is plastic, a material made from petroleum which never disappears from our planet once created. Americans throw away over 100 billion plastic bags each year, and only 1-2% of plastic bags are recycled. A United Nations environmental program report estimated an average of 46,000 pieces of plastic debris floating on or near the surface of every square mile of ocean. A swirling mass of plastic trash twice the size of Texas exists in a place called the Northern Pacific Gyre, an area where ocean currents collide.
This Halloween, American can avoid contributing to the 3.5 million tons of trash in the Great Garbage Patch of the Pacific Gyre and elsewhere in the world. FaveCrafts.com has put together a collection of tips for how to have a greener Halloween, including avoiding overly-packaged Halloween candy. With a little DIY effort, the celebration of Halloween can be good for the environment and fun for the whole family. This collection of 10 Eco-Friendly Halloween crafts can help anyone to create their own homemade Halloween decorations and costumes.
For more Halloween craft projects, many using recycled household materials such as tin cans and glass jars, visit the FaveCrafts Halloween category at http://www.favecrafts.com/Halloween-Crafts.
Caley Walsh, Editor
FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking. To more, visit www.primenewsletters.com.
- 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
- Unique Tampon Angel Christmas Ornament
- 24 Genius Crafting Tips from Our Readers
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Easy Beaded DIY Christmas Garland
- 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Baby's First Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Mini Red and White DIY Christmas Wreath
- Teardrop Christmas Ornaments
- Pringles Can Storage Container
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Shawl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Stunning Leather Trimmed Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Knit Look Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Bean Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Plush Basketweave Baby Blanket Pattern
- "18 Projects Every Crafter Wants" free eBook
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor