Craft Green this Halloween
Celebrate an eco-Friendly Halloween this year with tips and DIY tricks to green your holiday, including crafts for homemade costumes and decorations, at FaveCrafts.com.
October 11, 2010—Between candy wrappers, fake spider webs and one-time-use costumes, the multi-billion dollar Halloween industry generates a terrifying amount of waste each year. This waste, most of which is non-biodegradable plastic, has a detrimental impact on our planet. With awareness of the problem and a few simple tricks from popular crafting website www.FaveCrafts.com, people can reduce their Halloween waste and celebrate the holiday in an eco-friendly way.
Halloween is undoubtedly a popular holiday for Americans to celebrate. The National Retail Federation’s 2009 Halloween Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted by BIGresearch, estimates that Americans will spend $4.75 billion on Halloween this year. This staggering retail consumption will create a lot of trash, much of which is non-recyclable and non-biodegradable. While some of these plastic pumpkin carriers and president masks will be sent the landfill, a scary amount of Halloween waste will end up in our oceans.
Today most waste is plastic, a material made from petroleum which never disappears from our planet once created. Americans throw away over 100 billion plastic bags each year, and only 1-2% of plastic bags are recycled. A United Nations environmental program report estimated an average of 46,000 pieces of plastic debris floating on or near the surface of every square mile of ocean. A swirling mass of plastic trash twice the size of Texas exists in a place called the Northern Pacific Gyre, an area where ocean currents collide.
This Halloween, American can avoid contributing to the 3.5 million tons of trash in the Great Garbage Patch of the Pacific Gyre and elsewhere in the world. FaveCrafts.com has put together a collection of tips for how to have a greener Halloween, including avoiding overly-packaged Halloween candy. With a little DIY effort, the celebration of Halloween can be good for the environment and fun for the whole family. This collection of 10 Eco-Friendly Halloween crafts can help anyone to create their own homemade Halloween decorations and costumes.
For more Halloween craft projects, many using recycled household materials such as tin cans and glass jars, visit the FaveCrafts Halloween category at http://www.favecrafts.com/Halloween-Crafts.
Caley Walsh, Editor
FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking. To more, visit www.primenewsletters.com.
- Beautiful Embroidered Cocktail Napkins
- Crochet Beach Tote Bag Pattern
- Beginner Tote Bag
- Cute as a Button Snowman
- 36 Uses for Toilet Paper Rolls
- Alaskan Winter Crochet Afghan
- Kitchen Towel Hangers
- Fun n' Colorful Glass Canisters
- Wooden Spoon Wall Art
- 1000+ Recycled Crafts: Crafting with Recyclable Items
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Felt Organizers Set
- Recycled Milk Carton Stationery Organizer
- Vintage Lamb Crochet Toddler Hat Pattern
- Witch Hat Topiary Halloween Centerpiece
- Hemp Cord
- Winter Frost DIY Succulent Planters
- New Year's Ball Drop Display
- Absolutely Adorable DIY Mason Jar Candle
- Metallic Glittered Star Assortment
- Cute Crochet Macarons