From now through Christmas day, we’re featuring a project here on the FaveCraftsBlog, along with a question for you to comment on. From those comments, we’ll pick a daily winner and you’ll receive a Gift from Santa’s Sleigh! How’s that for a great way to celebrate all month long?!
This week’s Meet and Make is a chat with Cathie Filian and a fabulous ornament she whipped up for our readers! If Cathie looks familiar, it might be that you saw her on her TV show Creative Juice or countless other TV appearances, or read one of her books, or saw one of her products developed in partnership with Plaid. She’s creative, she’s fabulous, and she’s shared 10 fun facts AND a project. And, of course, if you leave a comment on this blogpost, you’ll be entered in today’s giveaway!
First, the 10 fun facts:
- My maiden name is Bush; I could retire tomorrow if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I was related to George 1 or 2. My married name is Filian – an Armenian name. (My hubby is half Armenian/half Russian) Our name means Elephan
- I worked in film (in the costume department) for almost 10 years. One of my early films was Bottle Rocket and my last film was Vanilla Sky.
- My grandmother taught me how to sew at 8 years old – My first sewing project was a pair of pj’s.
- I prefer wine over beer, skiing over snowboarding, cream over chocolate, green over blue and I love popcorn.
- I have a Mark Ryden art collection. I also have a fondness for dolls and art with big eyes. My family supports me in my never-ending quest for the best big-eyed dolls and I thank them very much.
- Lifetime movies on Saturday are a guilty pleasure of mine.
- I knew my great-grand parents.
- Steve Piacenza and I are as thick as thieves. The first time we went out for drinks (1999) we sang karaoke in Korea Town. We sang, “I got you babe.” The rest is history.
- I love shopping at the dollar store…you never know what you might find.
- I have a dog named Max! He is a Chihuahua / Corgi mix. I like to dress him in costumes.
On to the project!
Scrap Ribbon Tree Ornaments
by Cathie Filian
- 12 x 12 square of green felt
- Scrap ribbons
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Paper triangle (3.5″ wide X 4.5″ tall)
- Plastic grocery bag
- Hand sewing needle
- FolkArt acrylic paint (Coffee Bean)
- Wood spool
- Hot glue
1. Ribbon Plan
Working on one end of the felt square, position the scrap ribbons in straight lines. You will need a 6″ section of sewn ribbons. Mix and match colors and styles.
2. Sew the first ribbon
Sew the first ribbon to the felt square. You can sew down the center or down the sides of the ribbons.
3. Continue sewing
Continue sewing the ribbons until they are all attached.
4. Pin a pattern
Create a paper pattern of a triangle that measures 3.5″ wide along the base and 4.5″ tall to the point. Pin the pattern over the striped ribbon design.
5. Cut out, leaving a edge
Cut around the triangle shape, leaving a seam allowance for sewing.
6. Place right side down
Create a backing by, placing the triangle right-side down on the plain green felt. Cut out.
7. Sew around the edge.
Sew around the outer edge. Be sure to leave an opening for turning and stuffing.
8. Clip the corners
Trim the side seams and clip the corners to remove bulk.
9. Turn right-side out & stuff
Turn the tree right-side out and stuff with a plastic grocery bag.
10. Hand sew
Hand sew the opening closed.
11. Hand sew loop
Hand sew a loop to the top of the tree to form a hanger.
12. Paint a spool
Paint a wood spool coffee bean brown. Allow to dry.
13. Add hot glue
Add hot glue to the top of the spool.
14. Press down.
Center the tree over the spool and press into the hot glue.
Thanks, Cathie for this fabulous ornament!! So, are you making ornaments this year? Leave a comment below – one lucky commenter will receive a Gift from Santa’s Sleigh. Hurry. You only have until Midnight central time to enter. Tomorrow will be another day, another featured project, and another giveaway!
P.S. Since our comments require approval before they are live on the site, your comment will be included as an entry even if you don’t see it on the page. Also, we only include one comment per person, but you can make more than one comment if you want!
[Note: The giveaway is now closed, but feel free to leave your comments if you like! See all of our Christmas Countdown posts here!]
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 20 Last-Minute Gift Ideas That Everyone Will Love - December 5, 2016
- Best Ornament Contest 2016 Winners + Ornament Tutorials! - November 30, 2016
- 22 Crafting Tutorials and How Tos You Might Have Missed: Part 2 - November 28, 2016