Now that smartphones and GPS devices are so prevalent, it seems that old-school paper maps are becoming obsolete. This doesn’t mean you have to throw them away, though. Save your maps and use them to create pretty home decor crafts, note cards and so much more.
Maps are a great alternative to traditional scrapbook paper. They are generally thick and hold up well when covered in glue or other adhesives. They are also extremely versatile and can be use for a variety of craft projects.
Christmas is just around the corner, so now is the perfect time to start crafting some pretty ornaments to hang on your tree. Cover a Styrofoam ball with an old map and add embellishments such as glitter or glass charms. Apply decoupage to the outside of the ornament to ensure a smooth surface, free from lumps and bumps. The light blues and greens from the paper make the Recycled Map Christmas Ornament a pretty seasonal piece. This is a non-traditional take on a very common craft!
Maps can also serve as a great contrast to solid colored papers. Cut silhouettes out of black paper and mount the designs on a bright map. The range of colors will make the black paper pop off the canvas. Custom Couple Silhouettes are a great gift for newlyweds and can add to you decor for an anniversary or on Valentine’s Day.
It’s important to remember that maps tell a story – they take you to another place and time, no matter where you are. Just one look at a map can take you on a creative journey!
- Map Lamp from College Life DIY
- Vintage Map Balls from Crafts N’ Cofee
- Map Wallet from By Wilma
- Travel Tape from The Mayberry Home Journal
- Map Covered Box from Wear the Canvas
- Map Bunting from Please Note
- Vintage Map Monogram Note Card Set from Ellinee Journal
- Map Letter Decor from Lexi Levin
- DIY Mapped Frame from Hello Lidy
What are some of your favorite uses for old maps?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Best Ornament Contest 2016 Winners + Ornament Tutorials! - November 30, 2016
- 22 Crafting Tutorials and How Tos You Might Have Missed: Part 2 - November 28, 2016
- 55+ New DIY Ornaments: Vote for Your Favorite! - November 21, 2016