Today’s guest post is by Jenny Barnett Rohrs of CraftTestDummies.com.
Halloween is just around the corner, and my kids are so excited. As a Mom, though, I’m worried about safety after dark. So my son and I came up with a tote bag that he could make (and meet his specifications of “being cool” ) and I would be happy that it would provide some additional visibility on his route.
- Natural or white canvas tote
- Simply Spray Fabric Paint (We used lime green.)
- Tulip Slick 3-D fashion paint in Neon & Glow
- Iron-On Reflective Tape
- Flat-tipped paintbrush
- black acrylic paint (We used a combo of Martha Stewart Glitter Paint, High Gloss Black Paint, and Tintable Fabric Medium.)
- Glow in the Dark Glitter
- Black Fabric Marker (optional)
- Bat Template (We used one we found online here.)
The first step is optional. The color of the canvas bag may be just what you’re going for, but we wanted an lime green tote so we so the bats would “pop”!
To dye the tote, spread out newspapers or a plastic disposable tablecloth to protect your surface. Using the Simply Spray, mist the tote bag to get the coverage you desire. Let it dry completely- overnight is best.
Now color in the shapes using your black paint and flat-tipped brush. If you don’t have glitter paint, you can sprinkle some black glitter on while it’s wet.
When the paint is dry, outline the bats with the Tulip glow-in-the-dark 3D slick paint. This fun glow-in-the-dark paint will help drivers help see your kid in the dark- so it’s practical as well as fun! Your kiddo can aad extra squiggles if they feel like it.
Lastly, write in your “Trick or Treat” message with the fabric marker. Or, you can use the Glow paint and write on the tote with that.
I also have another variation on the tote with my Glow-In-The Dark Halloween Tote featured on my blog.
You can also find more easy Halloween craft ideas in this free eBook from AllFreeHolidayCrafts: 8 Halloween Kids Craft Ideas. Hope you enjoy!
Would you make this treat bag? What other kinds of candy bags have you made?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 14 Actually Pretty Perler Bead Crafts to Melt - September 26, 2016
- 9 DIY Thanksgiving Centerpiece Ideas to Wow Your Dinner Guests - September 19, 2016
- 17 Legendary Last Minute Halloween Costumes for Adults - September 12, 2016