Stay warm and cozy in your home this week as these winter storms contiue to hit several FaveCrafts’ reader locations. My favorite thing to do on a snowy weekend is either watch movies while cuddled up with a blanket, or find a small project to work on that will lift my spirits from the gloomy outdoors.
Updating old picture frames with contemporary embellishments is a great way to change your home decor in a small, but noticeable way. I’ve noticed there are two types of picture frame-owners. Those who buy all the same kind of picture frame because they like the uniform look. And those who have all different shapes, sizes and styles of picture frames that decorate their home. All frames, however, have one thing in common: they hold the faces of our loved ones. With that, they are some of the most special decorations, no matter how simple they seem.
Here’s a super easy way to update your picture frames with seasonal accents or contemporary embellishments:
- Picture frame – metal or wood, preferably flat
- Glue gun or wood glue
- Cloth ribbon about 1-1.5 inch thick
- Felt flowers or adhesive appliques
- From the fabric store, pick out a spool of ribbon that has an interesting design that will go with your home decor. Pick ribbons that have a darker background so they do not become translucent from the glue. (Cloth ribbon in white will be more see-through)
- Using your picture frame as a guide, measure each side of the frame and cut a piece of ribbon as long as it needs to be.
- Heat up your glue gun if you have a metal frame, and try wood glue if your frame is wooden.
- Draw a thin strip of glue along one side of the frame and press your ribbon strip down on it.
- Do this for all four sides of the frame.
- With your felt flowers or adhesive appliques, arrange a small cluster of embellishments in one corner of the frame and glue them down. Or spread them out around the entire frame for a more symmetrical look.
- Really have fun with this project by making a variety of frames using different kinds of ribbon and appliques. You can even write little messages on the frames and give them as gifts.
If you like this project idea, check out more Picture Frame projects at FaveCrafts.
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 18 Recycled Crafts for Christmas - October 8, 2015
- Best DIY Hair Accessories - September 30, 2015
- National Coffee Day: 11 DIY Mugs You Need in Your Life - September 29, 2015