Hello, Geek Crafters!
Hi, I’m Haley Pierson-Cox! If you follow my blog, The Zen of Making, then you already know that I’m a pretty geeky gal. (The TARDIS dress really gives it away, doesn’t it?) But, if you’re just meeting me for the first time today, consider this your warning: I’m about to talk nerdy to you. So, strap on that proton pack, pick up the gold bikini from the cleaners, and make sure your sonic screwdriver is fully charged, because, thanks to FaveCrafts, I’ll be taking you on a new adventure into the fabulous and freaky world of geek crafts every week!
Since this is the first column in my series, I’m kicking things off by sharing a little geek love. So, if you’ve ever painted a Warhammer army, stalked Adam Savage at the Emmys (that actually happened), or studied Klingon in your spare time, download a free copy of my cross-stitch pattern and let your geek flag fly!
- Cross-stitch fabric, 5” x 5” square of 14-count
- Embroidery floss, less than 1 skein each of navy blue, gray, light blue, red, green, yellow, and silver
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery scissors or thread nippers
Cross-stitch patterns are worked in horizontal rows. To begin, work the first leg of each stitch across the full length of the row using 2-ply embroidery floss. Count each stitch carefully to ensure correct spacing.
Tips for successful stitching:
- To avoid bumps, embroidery floss is not knotted on the back of cross-stitch pieces. To secure each color in place, leave a long tail on the back and stitch over the end as you work.
- If you’re working a row that has more than one color, complete all of the stitches in one color before moving on to the next.
- Get creative: mix up colors and glasses designs to make piece that’s perfect for you!
Are you ready to get your geek on? Leave a comment below and tell me about the shows, characters, movies, books, etc. that you’d like to see featured in my weekly geek crafts posts!
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 14 Actually Pretty Perler Bead Crafts to Melt - September 26, 2016
- 9 DIY Thanksgiving Centerpiece Ideas to Wow Your Dinner Guests - September 19, 2016
- 17 Legendary Last Minute Halloween Costumes for Adults - September 12, 2016