You’ve arrived the Geek Crafts column, your weekly dose of geeky goodness with Haley Pierson-Cox from The Zen of Making!
Having one of those days? Add a little “EXTERMINATE!” to your step with a mini Dalek brooch, inspired by the cantankerous villain from Doctor Who!
- Brown shrink plastic, 4” x 4” piece
- Wool felt scraps, 2” x 2” pieces in gold, tan, black, and blue•
- Fabric scissors
- Craft scissors
- Straight pin with black tip
- Paper punches, 1/8” and 1/4”
- Mod Podge
- Sponge paint brush
- Small pin back
- Cardstock, 3” x 5” piece
- Chalk pencil
- Marker or pen
- Wire cutter
Using cardstock, make a Dalek template by cutting out a 3” tall triangle with a rounded top.
To keep my template symmetrical, I folded my paper in half and drew half of the shape at the fold before cutting it out.
Tape the template to a piece of brown shrink plastic, then cut around the template to make a shrink plastic Dalek shape. Smooth around the edges with sandpaper to remove any rough spots, then lightly sand the front and the back.
Following the instructions on the package, bake the shrink plastic piece, pressing it flat and allowing it to cool.
Cut out the following felt pieces:
- 9 gold felt dots and 1 blue dot (using an 1/8” punch)
- 1 gold half circle (the same size as the Dalek’s top)
- 3 small tan rectangles
- 1 small black circle (using the 1/4” punch)
Using a chalk pencil, mark the placement of the dots on the Dalek background, then secure the gold felt dots in place using superglue.
Attach the remaining felt pieces with superglue.
Clip the end off of the straight pin with wire cutters. Slip the end of the pin under the edge of a tan rectangle and glue it in place.
Seal the felt pieces in place with 2 coats of Mod Podge.
Glue the pin back to the back of Dalek, and allow to dry completely before wearing.
Make sure you come back next Wednesday for more geek craft fun!
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 24 Crafting Tutorials and How Tos You Might Have Missed - July 25, 2016
- 12 Christmas in July Crafts that You Need to See - July 21, 2016
- 11 Unexpectedly Simple Embroidery Hoop Crafts - July 18, 2016