I’ve been sharing my wedding crafts with you guys the past few weeks–check out my charming heart straws and “Will you be my bridesmaid?” cards. Today I have another to share! I’d been searching all over for affordable vases to use for my centerpieces, and I finally found a solution last night. Instead of vases, I bought candle hurricanes. The only difference I can discern is that the hurricane doesn’t have a bottom. But I don’t need a bottom on my vase, because I’m not putting any water in them. What am I putting in them? These!
If only I were better at taking pictures (and didn’t craft at night)…Anyway, I found the idea at Sweet and Lovely Crafts, where the photos are a whole lot nicer. I’m so glad I found this idea because it’s thrifty and easy, and it satisfies by affinity for paper decorations. Want to make your own? Here’s what you need:
- Colored Paper
- Scissors and/or a paper cutter
- Hole punch (I used my Crop-a-Dile)
- The paper I used was standard 8 1/2″ by 11″ so I trimmed thin strips from the short side and then cut each strip in half–so each strip of paper was about 4 inches long and about 1/2″ wide. When I make the rest of my centerpieces, I think I will make the strips of paper even thinner, perhaps 1/4″ wide.
- Next I punched holes in both ends of each strip so that I could fit the brads through. I wouldn’t recommend punching several at a time (although you know I did!) because my strips were not uniform widths, and some of my punches went off the edge.
- Once each strip has a hole punched on either end, insert a brad through each strip, and lock it in place by spreading the back flat.
- Then it was time to spread the strips apart to make a globe shape. This part’s pretty self-explanatory–you just fan the strips out and arrange them evenly, with the brads on top and bottom.
- Repeat steps 1-4 until you have made a million paper globes. Then you can get married!
What do you think of my paper globe centerpieces? Would you make these for a wedding or party? Stay tuned for part 2 of my centerpiece saga…
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Best Ornament Contest 2016 Winners + Ornament Tutorials! - November 30, 2016
- 22 Crafting Tutorials and How Tos You Might Have Missed: Part 2 - November 28, 2016
- 55+ New DIY Ornaments: Vote for Your Favorite! - November 21, 2016