Country Themed Ornaments and Wreath
By: Annabelle Keller for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Get the rustic look you love with this fun Country Themed wreath and ornaments set. This homemade Christmas wreath is perfect for all those who celebrate Christmas cowboy style! Decorated with cute hats, cowboy boots, lassos, and bandanas, this western themed wreath could really be displayed all year long! Giddy up and make this DIY Christmas decoration today!
Materials given are for wreath only. To make matching ornaments, purchase jute twine and additional STYROFOAM brand foam, fabrics, grosgrain ribbon, and star metal studs (see instructions).
- 3 3 1/2" balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 3 2" balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 9 1 1/2" balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- 1 sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam (1/2" x 11-7/8" x 11-7/8")
- Artificial pine wreath, 24"
- Green chenille stem
- Red bandana, 22" square
- 1/4 yard red bandana print fabric
- Brown felt, 9" x 12" sheet
- 1/8 yard tan cotton fabric
- 1/4 yard blue denim fabric
- 3/8" dark green grosgrain ribbon, 1-1/3 yd.
- Metal studs (or charms)
- 10 assorted stars
- 8 saddles
- 3 white doll-size cowboy hats
- 1/4" hemp rope, 5 yd.
- Onyx fabric paint
- Silver glitter fabric paint
- Silver metallic Acrylic paint
- Paintbrushes: No. 8 flat fabric; 3/8" stencil
- Metal cookie cutters: 3-1/2" cowboy boot; 2-3/4" star
- Small, sharp pointed scissors
- Rotary cutter, acrylic quilting ruler, and mat (optional)
- Glues: thick white craft; low-temp glue gun and glue sticks; heavy-duty clear adhesive
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Paper towels
- Disposable palette
- Wax paper
- Utility knife
- Ice pick or awl
Cut 1/2" wide strips selvage to selvage from bandanna print and denim fabric. Wrap one 3-1/2", two 2", and three 1-1/2" foam balls with denim strips to cover, hot gluing ends to secure. Repeat, wrapping two 3-1/2", one 2", and six 1-1/2" balls with bandanna print strips.
Use cookie cutter to cut three stars from foam sheet. Sand edges smooth with excess foam. Paint stars with silver metallic acrylic paint, scrubbing paint into foam with stencil brush. Allow to dry. Using flat brush, apply silver glitter fabric paint to front and edges of stars. While still wet, paint "Sheriff" across upper half of each star with onyx, squeezing paint directly from bottle. Let dry. Glue a star stud centered below lettering (see photo).
Use cookie cutter to cut four boots from foam sheet. Or, if using pattern, trace outline of four boots onto foam sheet. Wax serrated knife with a candle stub or paraffin and then cut out shapes. Trace outline of each foam boot with pencil onto tan doubled fabric, reversing the direction of two. Cut out shapes 1/4" beyond outlines. Center cutouts on front of foam boots and then clip excess fabric at 1/4" intervals. Fold tabs onto edges and glue. Repeat to cover back of boots. Glue dark green grosgrain ribbon to edges of each boot, overlapping ends slightly. Using pattern, cut four boot trim decorations from brown felt. Glue trim to center top of each boot (see photo).
For boot spurs, bend down three consecutive prongs on each of four star studs. Dip remaining two prongs in glue and then insert them into a boot just above heel, letting bent prongs extend beyond edge.
Mark center of two adjacent edges on the 22" bandanna. Draw a diagonal line between marks and then cut along line. Turn under raw edge of small triangle 1/4" and glue hem.
Leaving a 3" tail at end, form a 3" loop in rope and glue. Make two additional loops, each slightly larger than previous one and glue. Cut excess rope, leaving a 3" tail. Wrap rope several times around loops over glued area, gluing ends at back to form mock lasso noose.
Using photo as a guide and working on a protected surface, arrange lasso noose, cowboy hats, boots, stars, bandanna, and fabric-covered balls on wreath. Hot glue shapes to wreath. Glue a star stud to center front of each hat.
Wrap remaining rope loosely around wreath, starting and ending behind lasso noose. Hot glue rope to wreath. Separate fibers to fray lasso loop tails and fluff as desired.
Using heavy-duty adhesive, randomly glue saddle studs to wreath.
- Wrap chenille stem around wire wreath frame at center top back. Twist ends together to form a loop hanger.
To make matching tree ornaments (fabric-covered balls, boots, and stars), follow Steps 1-4 of wreath. For each ornament, cut a 7" length of jute twine and knot ends together to form loop. Use an awl or ice pick to make hole in ornament. Squeeze glue in hole and then push knotted end of loop into hole. Let dry.
For each denim fabric-covered ball ornament, tie a 1/2" x 12" strip of bandanna fabric in a bow. Glue bow to center top of ball next to hanger.
- For each bandanna fabric-covered ball ornament, align three 12" lengths of jute twine and tie them in a bow. Glue bow to center top of ball next to hanger.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Watercolor Flawlessly for Beginners
- Glass Jar Mod Podge Makeover
- Crochet Shell N Chains Scarf
- USA Mason Jar Knit Cozy
- Patriotic Mason Jar Crochet Cozy
- Mouse Hole Wall Decor
- Lacy Star Crochet Stitch
- Delicate Shells Crochet Stitch
- Charging Station Recycled Craft
- Double Seed Stitch Coffee Cozy