Bring a bit of whimsy into holiday decorating with this adorable mitten Christmas wreath. The mittens are created with the fabric colors of your choice.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Sheet, 12" x 18" x 1/2"
- Balls: 19 1/2"; six 1"; two 1-1/2"
- Artificial pine wreath, 14"
- Fabric, ten 6" x 6" squares, bright colors and patterns
- Bias tape, 4 yds. x 1/2", single fold
- Trims: scraps of ribbons, braid, lace, bias tape, buttons
- Textured snow paint
- Paintbrush, #9 flat
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Sharp pencil
- Thick, white craft glue or low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- Cut out mitten pattern. Place pattern on foam sheet and using sharp pencil, trace around pattern ten times.Wax knife blade with old candle and cut out mittens.
- Place each mitten on a fabric square; trace around mittens and cut out fabrics. Hint: for variety, turn some mittens over before tracing, so mittens will face in the opposite direction. Glue fabric to mittens.
- Cut ten, 15" lengths of bias tape. Glue around outside edge of each mitten. Arrange mittens on wreath, with wrists toward the center. Glue mittens to wreath.
- Decorate each mitten with bows, ribbon, lace, and buttons (refer to photo for suggestions).
- Insert toothpick into each foam ball; use toothpick as handle and coat each ball with textured snow paint. Insert toothpick in scrap piece of foam while paint dries.
- Glue 1-1/2" snowballs to opposite mittens, as shown. Glue 1" balls evenly spaced around outer edges of wreath; glue 1/2" balls randomly to wreath, filing in spaces where needed.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.