What do you do when a card is simply is not enough? When a card wasn't enough of a thank you after a trip to a wine valley in Oregon, this designer thought up a great way to turn souvenirs from the trip into a great homemade gift. Find this fun project with 32 other great gifts ideas in the Homemade Christmas Gift Guide.
- Tilano Marble Magnet Kit
- 1-4 wine labels or images of your choice
- Take the wine label off of the bottle. There are a few ways of doing this, but I found filling the bottle with hot water and letting it stand for about 5 minutes worked the best. Then peel the label off gently and stick it onto a piece of white paper.
- Scan your labels into your computer and using images from the trip, create a collage that is 4” x 4”. I used Photoshop, but if you do not have a computer program you can also cut out your images by hand and make a collage and then scan it onto the transfer paper. Remember to mirror your image.
- Take the printed images that are on the Tilano Imaging Paper and apply the Tilano Medium to the surface and let it dry , just follow the instructions in the kit for the next few steps. There are also online videos at www.tilano.net if you need additional help.
- Cut out your pictures in a 4”x4” squares, I used an Ex-acto knife and ruler.
- Take Medium and paint the surface of the coaster, lay your image face down (remember to reverse your images when printing them) and remove any of the air bubbles or ripples using the spreader. I then used my oven a 175 degrees for 15 minutes to dry the Medium and your ready to peel of the transfer. Brush on water to the surface and let soak for about 15 seconds then, peel of the paper, it comes right off!
- Sand the edges of the coaster to remove any of the Medium that may have oozed out to the edges when you applied the transfer. Apply the cork footings to the back of the coaster, then brush on one coat of the Medium to protect your image, let dry for a couple of hours.